Question on tires.

I recently purchased a 22FBS and have made a 500 mile each way trip to the gulf. I absolutely love the rig. I did notice that the tires are D and not R. I found that it is for diagonal rather than radial even though they look like radial tires. This is my first experience with this type of tire and was wondering what service others are getting from them. I check the temp at every stop with a laser temp gauge and they were never any hotter than the truck tires. The temp was in the high 90's the whole way.

I haven't noticed any problem with the tires at all I'm just trying to get some feedback from people with more miles logged than me.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The R stands for Radial and the D is the load rating. I am not sure what the 22FBS is but most 5ers have either E or G rated tires. The D is on the lighter Travel Trailers. Look at the load rating (in pounds) on the sidewall. That should give you some indication as the G is 3750 lbs.

I don't think I made myself clear. The tire designation is like ST 205/75/D15 there is no R there for radial. I am familiar with the load ratings but this D doesn't appear to have anything to do with that.

caissiel

ST is a trailer tire and D is a load Range D with 65PSI air capacity for the tire. Since you do not see the R is that possibly you have Bias Rating Tires and not Radials. They are usually rated as much as radials. I have seen those on lighter TT trailers due to cost savings for the units, but I have never seen them on 5th Wheels because they tend to be used for longer trips

Typical wheels
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-352-az128697wt33b-import-bias.aspx

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Check out this LINK. Clears things up.

On edit, Sorry Laurent, I didn't notice the link you posted. Same info, different source.