Tow vehicle tire question

ihsolutions

Note to mods: I thought there used to be a forum for discussing tow vehicles, but I don't see it? Anyway, please move to wherever this belongs if this is not appropriate.

In summer of 2009 I bought new tires for my tow vehicle (in signature). The OEM originals had lots of tread left at 35k miles, but were starting to dry rot since they were nearly 7 years old.

I bought the Michelin LTX M/S 245/75 16's, which have been great tires, and have TONS of tread left about 13k miles later. However, I am starting to see hairline splits in the sidewalls. I am not sure if these are just superficial and nothing to be concerned about, or if I need to be looking at replacement tires ALREADY. Like I said they only have 13k miles on them and the vehicle stays inside the garage when not on trips. I've attached pics to illustrate my concern.

I do not want to have a blowout while towing, but at the same time I don't want to replace perfectly good tires if this is normal.

Edit: We are carrying a big load for a SRW truck, but are well under the weight limits of these load range E tires (6084lbs) by quite a bit. I always keep pressures at exactly 80psi.

Attachments

• 2011-09-05_15-24-46_893_Medium.jpg
    2011-09-05_15-24-46_893_Medium.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 2011-09-05_15-25-49_19_Medium.jpg
    2011-09-05_15-25-49_19_Medium.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 2011-09-05_15-25-57_16_Medium.jpg
    2011-09-05_15-25-57_16_Medium.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 53

TedS

I see your concern. The curious pattern is parallel to the tread; like a lot of flexing or not so good manufacture joining tread to carcass. Might be worth having the Michelin shop look at them. Maybe get a pro-rated tread wear replacement.

To find 'tow vehicles', I discovered I need to click All Forums when in the Forum window and scroll way down to find tow vehicles.

Birchwood

What happens to old tires regardless of their looks is that tire air gradually penetrates
through the belts to the tire layer between the belts and the outside rubber layer.
As you travel this air between the belts and ouside layer of the tire heats and causes
a blowout.Its more of a time issue with tires that are inflated .If you removed the tires
from their rims and stood them in a corner perhaps your theory with deep tread would hold.

ihsolutions

I didn't mean to imply that just because there is deep tread, that the tires should last a long time. On the contrary, I replace tires normally well before the tread becomes an issue, particularly on vehicles that are used to tow things.

What surprises me is, if in fact I have an issue, it seems very premature. Only 13k miles on these tires (probably 11k of which are towing) all within their rated weight limits at the correct pressure all along.

What I would really like to do on this truck is a DRW conversion, but they are pricey. Maybe I need to look into different rear rims that can take an F-rated tire. All I know is that $800 every two years or less is not an economical situation for tires used in such a limited application.

lwmcguir

I think the suggestion to have the Tire shop take a look is right on. The larger cracks don't look good. The smaller ones are probably normal.

caissiel

I had a set of Baja that were just over two year old and I could see the steel belts thru the threads and got rid of them and I am still using the BFG tire that was spare on my truck that is 6 years old and it still looks like new. If it was me I would realy weary when the rubber gets cracked to the belts.

GOTTOYS

I have a set of Michelins on my wife's car that are doing the same thing. I've always had good luck with them in the past so I was a little surprised. Her's are around 5 years old but only have about 50,000 miles and have lots of tread. Not even close to the wear bars. Anyway the tire dealer told me to bring them in and he would see what kind of adjustment I can get if any. According to him Michelin has a 6 year warranty but it will probably be pro-rated. Not expecting much. I'm not too upset we got 5 years out of them. I'll probably just get another set...Don

ihsolutions

Update: I drove my truck up to the place where I bought the tires and long story short, after calling Michelin, they are willing to pay 75% of the cost of new tires but no install, etc. Naturally the tire store is soaking me for all they can, but $297 out-the-door for four brand new tires (that are normally $190'ish each) isn't a bad deal. If nothing else my mind will be more at ease pulling the beast.

TedS

Sound like a reasonable solution. Michelin makes a good product, so you should get long service out of the new tires.
Thanks for the update.