Fiberglass separating under front cap area.

djg57

I have a 2009 Bighorn 3100RL. I've noticed a separation of some of the fiberglass siding surface from under the front cap area. It's around the front storage door and above around the hitch and the sides. The seams basically apear to be coming apart. One area is now starting to crack. It's as if it's shrinking. At first I thought I just needed to recaulk the areas, but they are separating further and have a warped, buckled affect underneath. I know I'm past warranty. Any thoughts about repair, replacement, where to turn for help, costs, etc. The dealer we purchased from in the Sacramento area is no longer there. :( If anyone else has experienced this I'm interested to read your thoughts.
Thanks

danemayer

DSC01026email.jpg
We've got wrinkling in the bottom right corner by the front hatch, which I'm told is delamination. This panel goes up and curves around under the pinbox. It's one piece and is being referred to as the "bulkhead". As I remember, there's some metal trim , where it meets the front cap, that probably gets replaced with this. Our rig is at the dealer now and parts are being/have been ordered. I noticed this a little before we left for the June rally, and the service guys at the rally thought replacement would be needed, but we just got home a couple of weeks ago and dropped it off for service the next day. We're still under warranty, so I don't know the cost to replace.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
djg57, you likely have a frame break at or near the front overhang. You can call Heartland Customer Service (574 262-8030) to get advice on the repair. Be sure to have your VIN handy when you call.

djg57

Thanks for the reply. I will call Heartland customer service this week. A 'frame break' doesn't sound like it could be anything good. Uggg!!

djg57

Bighorn front cap problems 004.JPGBighorn front cap problems 002.JPGBighorn front cap problems 003.JPGBighorn front cap problems 006.JPGBighorn front cap problems 001.JPG

Dave, you mentioned posting pictures. Here are some photos. Sorry for the image reflections that also distort. But you should be able to see enough to get the
idea of what I'm referring to.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, that's not good. I was just a a service department and they seemed like replacing that piece was not a real big deal. I guess they get the sheet of fiberglass and then they form it and apply. I am curious as to what is up above that area. When you get it fixed could you please post some pics of that space once they remove the fiberglass? I would really appreciate it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That piece is a laminated cardboard type of material. As stated in a prior post, changing it is not a big deal. It is held in place by screws along and under the plastic covered trim. It looks like that at sometime in the past you may have had some water in there and the weight pulled it out of the screws. It does not look like a frame problem.
Just thinking out loud.

Peace
Dave

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I gotta agree with Dave, its not a frame break but some water has gotten in. Check the caulking along the front for the water entry point.

djg57

Actually, now that you mention it, I did have water in that area in the past. Is this something I can fix myself? Would any RV dealer or service place have the capability of fixing it, or would I have to look for
heartland/bighorn service centers? I ask that because a Heartland dealer isn't close to where I live. Also, do you think it's safe to use the rig until getting it fixed? It doesn't have any other issues at this time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The only problem as I see it would be shipping the part.
I would not have a problem using it if it were mine. But I would caulk it up.

Peace
Dave

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That piece is a simple replacement for a reputable repair facility. No big deal. Hopefully you are still in warranty, if so let them do it. Personally I would not want to tackle that job myself.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had a similar problem on my 2008 Bighorn. The problem was the frame was flexing under the bedroom due to the bedroom slide opening, which weakened the frame. I had it fixed and have had no further problems. As stated above the problem you are having is not fibreglass. It is laminated pressed fibre board. My leak was on the drivers side just before the bedroom slide. I would have this checked out by the factory.

Front caulking seperation.jpg

BC

djg57

I will get it checked out by some local RV dealers and service facilities. Unfortunately, I'm no longer under warranty. All of these replies and comments are so helpful. I have had water pour out of it when we have rainy weather. I can see from the edges, the material that Dave descibed. I will let you know the result. Stay tuned! If there are more thoughts on this, I'm always listening.
Thanks again.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It may look ugly but it wont hurt anything. Ours got water in it and did the samething. Clean all the caulking off the molding retainers and recaulk it. The only real issue is that water can still get in thru the pinbox opening while driving in a heavy rain storm. Never thought about it...but I suppose a person could fabricate some kind of seal for the pinbox opening.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
View attachment 15777
We've got wrinkling in the bottom right corner by the front hatch, which I'm told is delamination.

We also are beginning to see some slight wrinkling under the storage door. I have a hard time believing it was caused by water intrusion as I have never seen water in this area except when it was delivered nearly two years ago. Don't think it is delamination as there are no apparent bubbles with space between layers. We haven't traveled in the rain and everything inside is dry as a bone. Like someone said, it doesn't hurt anything but it does upset me to have this flaw in my otherwise pristine rig!

jolar3329

I had a similar problem and had the sheeting replaced by RV Capitol when I was at Goshen. Heartland provided the fiberglass at a reduced price and RV Cap charged me for 4 hours of labor ($400).

djg57

Every one of these replies is a good consideration. That's what I love about this forum. It's a conversation with several, as we brainstorm together about ideas and solutions. I'm going out this afternoon with the rig
to a local reputable rv dealer who will take a look at it. I think I'm going to print these responses and bring it along for his info.
Thanks

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I just added a thread about this same issue with my Big Country and what I found. It's HERE

bigbird272

Mine is presently at Heartlands plant getting repairs for the same thing that is happening to you. It has to go to the factory for these repairs. It is the only repair that they do not farm out to someone else. Mine is doing the same as yours. The factory and Lippert are adding gussets and beefing up the frame. This is a common problem and well known by Heartland. That is why they fix it for free as it is an obvious defect.

Rick