Roof Solar Panel

wingfoot

The previous owner of my BH installed a solar panel on the roof. It appears he ran the wires directly from the panel to the battery...Is that OK and what's to prevent an overcharge situation while in storage?

Thanks

grizzlygiant

If the panel is wired directly to the battery with no charge monitor in the line the battery will overcharge. Look for a monitor in the line; it is just a small box. My panel iswired through a monitor to the battery. I have a disconnect switch which removes everything from the battery except the solar when the camper is in storage---keeps the battery 100% even in the snow.

wingfoot

If the panel is wired directly to the battery with no charge monitor in the line the battery will overcharge. Look for a monitor in the line; it is just a small box. My panel iswired through a monitor to the battery. I have a disconnect switch which removes everything from the battery except the solar when the camper is in storage---keeps the battery 100% even in the snow.

Thanks for the response. I have a battery disconnect also, and use it while in storage. I do not have a monitor for the solar panel, it's a direct wire to the battery..so I guess I need to get a monitor. Where did you get your monitor?

Thanks again,

Larry

wyleyrabbit

I have a pair of 120W solar panels on our roof, and they run through a solar regulator. I would NOT want a solar panel of any significant wattage connected directly to the battery as the battery could be dangerously overcharged. Many (all?) solar regulators have some intelligence in them so they will put lots of amps in to the battery when it's low, some when it's close to full, and trickle charge when almost full...then no amps whatsoever when the battery is fully charged.

Do you happen to know how many watts the solar panel is?

Chris

Last edited:

wingfoot

I have a pair of 120W solar panels on our roof, and they run through a solar regulator. I would NOT want a solar panel of any significant wattage connected directly to the battery as the battery could be dangerously overcharged. Many (all?) solar regulators have some intelligence in them so they will put lots of amps in to the battery when it's low, some when it's close to full, and trickle charge when almost full...then no amps whatsoever when the battery is fully charge.

Do you happen to know how many watts the solar panel is?

Chris

No, I don't...all I can tell you it measures about 12" X 24"...sorry, wish I had more information for you.

grizzlygiant

12"x24" is a relatively small panel so a small wattage regulator is all you would need. As already said, google will give you lots of choices.

wingfoot

I think I've figured out what the previous owner did...He ran the solar positive wire to the battery cut off..So, when he stored his trailer he turned the the cut off. off, he also turned the solar panel off. Don't know why he did that. In my opinion that negates what a solar panel is suppose to do. I guess he was afraid of overcharging the battery:eek:. Anyway, I'm going to get a solar control and rewire the thing.

Thanks again for all help..

RVerFulltime

Fulltiming Since 2004
We have bought a number of solar items from these guys http://www.solar-electric.com/ . They do not install but they can design a quality system for anyone. We recently help a family member with their new 2011 CYCLONE they bought from Heartland. They now have a 1,200 watt system on their RV, which is bigger than ours. Solar panels are cheap nowadays.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have bought a number of solar items from these guys http://www.solar-electric.com/ . They do not install but they can design a quality system for anyone. We recently help a family member with their new 2011 CYCLONE they bought from Heartland. They now have a 1,200 watt system on their RV, which is bigger than ours. Solar panels are cheap nowadays.

Thanks for the link to the Solar site. I have had solar on other rigs, but I have yet to solar up my BH. I was planning on getting my setup in Quartzsite, but I will check your source.

BTW, impressive sig. Trace

watchthebox

+1 for Northern Arizona Wind & Sun (solar-electric.com). I got my panels, inverter, and other supplies from them, and they were great to work with.