2 Roof A/C units

Bob Vaughn

When the 2nd a/c unit is ordered from the factory is there a switch that is installed to enable both a/c units to run alternately when hooked up to 30 amp service? What is it called? An, can one be installed retro active if a 2 a/c is installed at a later date?:eek:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have not heard of such a device, other than using your finger to turn one or the other on or off.

Peace
Dave

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Bob, you may be thinking about an EMS, or Energy Management System used on some upper end motorhomes with 3 A/C units. The system powers down different appliances and A/C units when one or more of the A/Cs start up.

I have never heard it being used with a rig with 2 A/Cs when hooked to 30 amp service.
I guess it could but the cost of adding the system could be prohibitive.

As Dave suggested, fingers are cheap and are usually fool proof-not prone to breaking down.

jimtoo

I don't know for sure, but "think" that if you order a 2nd a/c, then you must order the 50 amp upgrade also... or it may be included as a must have to get 2nd a/c.... Best to call Heartland and check for sure.

I would think that if a dealer installed a 2nd a/c without the 50 amp conversion he would be taking a big risk.

Jim M

Bob Vaughn

Mine, 3250 TS came prewired for the 2nd a/c plus the 20amp circuit breaker for the 2nd a/c unit installed in the power box and it is 50amp service but I do not know if it has an Energy Management System installed or not?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Actually there used to be a device you could purchase that would do what the OP is wanting. When wired correctly, using 30 amp service this device would control the (2) AC units and run them alternately. The living room AC would run and when it tripped the thermostat the bedroom AC would kick on then back to the living room. I haven't seem this lately but will look for it again and post what I find.

Mark

Bob Vaughn

Actually there used to be a device you could purchase that would do what the OP is wanting. When wired correctly, using 30 amp service this device would control the (2) AC units and run them alternately. The living room AC would run and when it tripped the thermostat the bedroom AC would kick on then back to the living room. I haven't seem this lately but will look for it again and post what I find.

Mark
That is exactly what I am looking for......I think there are more 30 amp service campgrounds than people realize. We stayed at the 1000 Trails in Orlando the last nights of our six week trip and with thousands of campsites in this park and no shade trees and with only 30 amp service (suprise) something to cool both ends of the camper would have been a big help....

jpdoggett

We have a second AC from the factory and it is not on the same switch as the first one it has its own switch and its own thermostat. I had a SOB that had one thermostat and it had zones on it so you could run one or the other or both