Tripping Breakers

aisbell1

I have a 27FQBS North Trail-Trail runner Adition 2012. Has anyone had trouble with tripping the breakers when useing the microwave. While my wife is cooking dinner and needs to warm something up in the Microwave, it will trip the main breaker.

jimtoo

Hi aisbell1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I think your North Trail is 30 amp unit and if you have the a/c running and use microwave, it probably will trip the breaker on the campground pole. At least I have heard others say this. Maybe some of the other owners will jump in soon also with a better answer.

Hope you enjoy your new unit and the forum.

Jim M

rebootsemi

I have a 27FQBS North Trail-Trail runner Adition 2012. Has anyone had trouble with tripping the breakers when useing the microwave. While my wife is cooking dinner and needs to warm something up in the Microwave, it will trip the main breaker.

It's tripping your 30 amp main??? Does the Microwave have a breaker in the main panel? A microwave will only pull about 9-10 amps max so there is no way it should trip the main. Does it do it every time you use it?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you are talking about the main breaker on the pedestal that is possible if you are pulling too many amps. You may have to turn off something when using the microwave especially if the park is older with weak breakers.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
In our 2008 North Trail, we were told NOT to run the AC and the Microwave at the same time, as we would trip a breaker. Even now with 50 amp in the ElkRidge, we make sure at least one of the two ACs is off before using the Microwave.

E

nscaler2

Don't forget that the water heater could figure into this also if it is running on electric.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are charts available that tell how many amps each appliance draw. You can add them up to see if you are pulling at or over 30. When you add the refrigerator, television, water heater, converter, air conditioner, some lights you might go over when you turn on the microwave. We only turn on the water heater on propane when we need it when on 30 amp and don't run it on electric. Also run the frig on propane and that should help.

wdk450

Don't forget that the water heater could figure into this also if it is running on electric.

. . . and the refrigerator heater if using the AC heating element. I would flip the refrig and water heater over to propane just to be safe. On the other hand breakers are notorious for tripping on current loads less than their rating, especiallly after they have tripped a few times. A handy thing to have for RV electrical troubleshooting is a clamp on ammeter which can show you how many amps a wire is carrying. Harbor Freight Tools has one that does both AC and DC current plus DVM functions for about $15.

hoefler

Also don't forget; the coffee pot, hair dryer, curling iron, electric skillet, toaster, any fans, etc..

Birchwood

We keep our water heater on propane if there is only a 30 amp service and we don't have
breaker problems.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We cannot run the 1/2 time oven and the electric water heater when on our 30 AMP genset.

porthole

Retired
Just a thought.
This weekend while boon docking at the 9/11 rally I finally got tired of one genny breaker tripping.
The breaker panel is not balanced. On our trailer the main AC, converter, water heater and all the outlets were on one leg
AC-10-15 amps
converter 10-15
water heater 10-15

So I was popping one genny breaker. I ended up moving loads around to balance the panel.
Now I can really use that 5500 to it best ability.