Insurance Question

Macy

hello everyone! we just received our 2012 Cyclone 4014 and LOVE IT! we are full timers also and our tow rig is a 2006 F550 cc. My question is I heard somewhere you can insure you truck and trailer together as a package if you only use the truck to pull the camper and it is supposed to be cheaper. However USAA said the truck has to be on a commercial policy since the GVWR is over 10K. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks in advance!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have regular Auto insurance and the Landmark is on that policy. When it is attached to the truck it is covered by the truck insurance as it is considered part of the truck as a towed trailer. We have Safeco Insurance and Farmers is what we used to have and it was covered the same way. No this is not a commercial policy. Each state has their own insurance regulations however I would check with another company rather than pay commercial rates.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use Progressive, and have separate policies for the truck and trailer, but receive a discount for having more than one "vehicle" insured with them. I did it all online, too! The trailer has full replacement coverage the first few years, and a disappearing deductible with a claim-free history. They also have very good customer service if you do need to talk to a human, and working with their claims dept., as well as roadside assistance, has been excellent.

E

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also have Progressive insurance. They cover the BH and the TV seperately and the BH is under a Fulltimer policy. This gives me full replacement for 5 years from the time I purchased it and full purchase price after 5 years. It might be a bit more expensive than some others but I am happy with it. Give them a call. I also have a 2M umbrella policy, but under a different company.

BC

mmomega

AnyTimer
We have StateFarm and it's set up that when the 5'er is parked it has its own insurance coverage but when it's hooked up to the truck it falls under the truck coverage.
I believe we have 500k coverage or so, would have to ask the DW since she deals with all of that.

We have a decent multi discount with all of the listed vehicles in signature + 2 ATVs.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
We have to policies, one for the truck and one for the trailer. We did however run into a issue when we had to pay both deductibles, when we dropped the trailer on the truck. The truck policy paid for the truck and the trailer one paid for the trailer. That was a ooch in the pocket book.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
While we are talking insurance here, what is the difference of a full timers policy?

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Fulltimer's insurance includes liability insurance covering any lot your RV is sitting on, and the RV itself. That way if someone walks onto your lot, and say trips over the dog lead, for an example...you have coverage just like a homeowner's policy. It usually includes, for an additional premium, replacement coverage on both the RV and the personal contents, and you can increase the contents coverage based on what you think you have...it basically treats your RV just like a home, since that's what it is to us fulltimers.

Insuring a MDT is tricky...our C4500 was written as a Semi...it usually is based on the GVWR of the truck. Anything over 26,000 pounds usually must be written separately...

DMitch

Are some of you saying your policies on your truck cover the RV for collision while it is hooked to the TV? If so who are you using for insurance. I have two seperate policies. My agent tells me the RV is only covered for liability while being towed. Seems that one policy would be a better idea if the RV is covered by the truck while being towed. Thanks for the info in advance.

Sandpirate69

I have two policies, one for the Chevy with USAA & one for the RW with Geico. I'm not a fulltimer, but I pay for the insurance with the Liability & the replacement coverage, as well as full replacement for the 1st 5 years. I like the liabilty part because I have a daughter and if someone else's child comes over to play & god forbid they fall & get hurt, the insurance will take care of it. After being in Law Enforcement for so long, i've learned to be safe not sorry.

Example: if you are at my camp & you trip over my dogs leach, fall & break your hand. You arrive at the ER, one of the questions asked " where did this fall occurr?" your response "i was at my neighbors RV parked next to mine" not trying to hurt or shaft your buddy intentionaly, the hospital will ask you for his/her information. Once that is obtained, the hospital will contact your buddy for his insurance information to pay for the medical services obtained by the injured party. I see this all the time at the local hospital, in the admintration office. It's insane but it's how the insurance system works. At least here in Florida, by the way that's also how it works with your home insurance.

Sorry for the long explanation

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My vehicles are covered by State Farm, including the pontoon. But the BH is covered by Foremost/Progressive. State Farm did not have the ability to modify road hazard coverage while the rig is in storage or parked on the seasonal site.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have two policies, one for the Chevy with USAA & one for the RW with Geico. I'm not a fulltimer, but I pay for the insurance with the Liability & the replacement coverage, as well as full replacement for the 1st 5 years. I like the liabilty part because I have a daughter and if someone else's child comes over to play & god forbid they fall & get hurt, the insurance will take care of it. After being in Law Enforcement for so long, i've learned to be safe not sorry.

Example: if you are at my camp & you trip over my dogs leach, fall & break your hand. You arrive at the ER, one of the questions asked " where did this fall occurr?" your response "i was at my neighbors RV parked next to mine" not trying to hurt or shaft your buddy intentionaly, the hospital will ask you for his/her information. Once that is obtained, the hospital will contact your buddy for his insurance information to pay for the medical services obtained by the injured party. I see this all the time at the local hospital, in the admintration office. It's insane but it's how the insurance system works. At least here in Florida, by the way that's also how it works with your home insurance.

Sorry for the long explanation

As well all my vehicles (6) are insured by USAA. My policy on the truck extends the liability to whatever I'm towing but does not cover the trailers damage, only the truck and property damaged. The trailers insurance covers the damage to it. On another note, it was cheaper for us to insure through USAA on the 5er as well, but may be because of the amount of vehicles I have on the policy. Wait till that daughter starts driving and watch your insurance bill grow. Mine is 21, she is still in college and as agreed still on my policy until she graduates.

Sandpirate69

Hastey, I can wait for her to drive. By then I will sell my 56 vette, which she likes. Maybe the cars will be like the Jetsons & we will need driving lessons. I see you are or were in the Army. I'm still in the Navy, waiting for another tour in May 2012. Maybe we'll see some type of hydrofoil (anphib) in the next 12 years. LOL.

grizzlygiant

Safeco covers both TV & trailer on one policy which includes collision & liability on trailer---but is not available in all states.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Hastey, I can wait for her to drive. By then I will sell my 56 vette, which she likes. Maybe the cars will be like the Jetsons & we will need driving lessons. I see you are or were in the Army. I'm still in the Navy, waiting for another tour in May 2012. Maybe we'll see some type of hydrofoil (anphib) in the ne.xt 12 years. LOL.

Be safe in 2012.

beasleyrl

My question is I heard somewhere you can insure you truck and trailer together as a package if you only use the truck to pull the camper and it is supposed to be cheaper. However USAA said the truck has to be on a commercial policy since the GVWR is over 10K.
When we traded our Chevy 3500 for our Ford F450, Progressive would not insure the new truck under the old policy as they said a truck this size could only be insured as a commercial vehicle. I went back to our trailer insurance broker (http://www.poliseek.com/) which has our Progressive RV policy and talked to them about insurance for the truck. After asking a number of questions about the use of the truck, they informed me they could in fact write a Progressive policy on the truck because it was used to pull the trailer which already had a progressive policy. The interesting thing to me was using this policy with same deductibles as the 3500 had with this newer/more expensive vehicle and using the same company (ie Progressive), the 12 month policy on the F450 was basically the same price as the 6 month policy on the 3500 (in other words half the price). Further, as a point of comparison, the local Progressive commercial policy was 3 times the price of the original 3500 policy.

Certainly shop around, but I have found no disadvantage to this broker or the Progressive policies. In addition, the trailer policy has similar protections to what was described here as full time coverage including the umbrella coverage (site coverage), disappearing deductible, full replacement coverage, etc. However, I did specify a number of days we use the rig and truck (150 days per year I think) which is somehow used in the policy pricing. I'm happy to give you more information on our policy actual costs if you PM me.

GOTTOYS

Mine is insured on it's own policy for Comprehensive and collision through my auto policy carrier. My auto policy also covers the liability as part of my truck insurance. Most companies are the same as far as I know...Don