Cradlepoint 3.3.0 Firmware Released - New features!

3Gstore

Cradlepoint has released 3.3.0 firmware for the CTR35, CBR400, CBR450 MBR95 and MBR1400. This firmware is designed to help optimize the 4G LTE and WiMAX connections as well as add features like "Bandwidth Monitoring and Alerts!"

I know that is a huge feature that a lot of people ask about and I'm happy they've finally implemented it. I'll probably be doing a demo sometime this week to show how the new features work, but you can find more info here - Cradlepoint 3.3.0 Firmware Released for NetBSD 3G/4G Routers

Below is a quick screengrab of the bandwidth setup settings:

cp_3.3.0_bandwidth.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Matt, I have a CTR350 that is 3 years old. What can I expect for a lifespan on this router. I can't seem to find my owners documentation or the password I set up with Cradlepoint. Because I'm not too tech savvy, I could really use some assistance resetting and updating the router. Over the weekend I might have access to someone a little more savvy than I. Dave???

3Gstore

Matt, I have a CTR350 that is 3 years old. What can I expect for a lifespan on this router. I can't seem to find my owners documentation or the password I set up with Cradlepoint. Because I'm not too tech savvy, I could really use some assistance resetting and updating the router. Over the weekend I might have access to someone a little more savvy than I. Dave???

I'd say you're pretty much at the lifespan of the CTR350. Most routers probably offer 3 year spans and the 350 will never see another firmware upgrade, but if you don't upgrade your modem you shouldn't run into any problems.

The initial password is the last 6 characters of the Mac address on the bottom of the router. If you've changed that you can reset the router by holding the reset button to the left of the WAN connection for 15 seconds while it's powered up. You can then go to 192.168.0.1 enter the last 6 of the Mac address. Click on "Tools" and "Firmware" from the sub menu on the left. Just go down to the manually upgrade router firmware section and upload the file downloaded from cradlepoint.com

I actually did a firmware upgrade tutorial that you can follow below :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls37xUs-RV4

jbeletti

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the firmware upgrade notice. What a great feature too. Do you know if the CBA250 has this feature coming to it? I use my VZW supplied Pantech UML290 USB modem with it, then send that via Ethernet to an Apple Airport Extreme Router/WAP.

Though - I am considering that new MiFi that has an external antenna port :)

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Thanks for the reply and the video. I have to say too that I have been thinking along the same line as Jim B. The mifi with the antenna port. I may consider buying it outright though so I don't have a contract. When we're in the Wisconsin Rapids area, we're in what Verizon refers to as "extended service" and our internet speed is terrible. When we're in a normal VZ area, it's much better. I think next summer I'll suspend VZ and get local service through Charter.
Maybe one day Verizon will purchase the "rights" to this area. One can only hope...

3Gstore

Jim,

No, the CBA250 won't see this feature because it's on the older Ubicom platform. The only models to see these new features will be the NetBSD based routers like the CTR35, CBR400, CBR450, MBR95 and MBR1400.

Ray,

The MiFi 4510L is a great option, and with a new Cradlepoint NetBSD based router you can use the WAW (WiFi as WAN) feature to connect via WiFi. This is becoming a more popular option because it allows you to remove the worry about firmware updates for the modems that can sometimes break router compatibility.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Verizon MiFi 4510 has an external antenna port on it. When I was having problems getting mine to connect, Matt suggested that. But once I did get it to link to the local tower, it's been fine without it, here at our seasonal site. I used it at home for grins, and it worked flawlessly there, as well. It even worked with it being in the den at the front of the house and the wife on her laptop out on the deck in back. But at home, we use the cable internet and a wireless router as primary.

3Gstore

The Verizon MiFi 4510 has an external antenna port on it. When I was having problems getting mine to connect, Matt suggested that. But once I did get it to link to the local tower, it's been fine without it, here at our seasonal site. I used it at home for grins, and it worked flawlessly there, as well. It even worked with it being in the den at the front of the house and the wife on her laptop out on the deck in back. But at home, we use the cable internet and a wireless router as primary.

Glad to hear all the components are working good for you!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Glad to hear all the components are working good for you!

It's funny, Matt. Once I drove it into town and got it introduced to the tower signal, it's worked flawlessly. Maybe it was just shy and didn't know who to dance with. And there's a whole lot of trees between it and the tower.

Ray LeTourneau

As an update to my earlier post regarding Mifi 4510 I have made that acquisition and am now using the Verizon 4510 device. It doesn't seem quite as fast in our current location, which is not a Verizon area but an "extended wireless" area. I did have a bit of a glitch activating the device though.
I knew I had to drive out to the Verizon coverage area to activate the device. After doing this and connecting on the laptop while we were out there, I assumed all was good to go. We drove back home but were unable to get connected to the INTERNET. We could connect to the device but the device was not able to connect to the web. Called Verizon, did some troubleshooting and was told a "ticket" would be assigned to our problem, figure it out and get back to us in a few days. What!!! Days??? Not much I could do I guess.
After 2 days with no Internet, I called VZ again. Still no resolution. I called again Friday morning and this CS person seemed a bit more knowledgeable. He determined that the initial activation process never completed. He said it can take as little as 5 minutes or up to an hour for the sim card to fully activate. He suggested I drive out and go through the activation again and then call back. At that point a CS person could ensure the process was completed before we leave the VZ area. So, yesterday afternoon I did that and we now have access in our "extended area".
Hopefully when we're in regular Verizon coverage areas the 4510 will be as fast as our USB modem was. I can't wait to try it out in a 4G area while we travel this winter. At least I'm saving $10 a month on the 5 Gig plan.:eek: