care of vessel sink

twohappycampers

Have one of the vessel sinks :cool: I've been noticing that some sort of rings are showing up, hard to describe - they run all around the sides, close to the top, and seem to be on the outside, and they're increasing. They look like they should clean off, but don't come off with regular cleaning. They're not hard water rings, I don't think, because they're on the outside, and we never fill the sink so close to the top anyway.

Has anyone found this with theirs? Any ideas on how to get them off? Any ideas as to why this would be happening? Is it normal?

Thanks and take good care - Lorna

back2nature

I noticed rings on mine near the top too. I thought, what now! Figured out it was a reflection from the vanity light above.

twohappycampers

I noticed rings on mine near the top too. I thought, what now! Figured out it was a reflection from the vanity light above.

Hey! I'll have to check that out! That would be hilarious!! Here I've been trying to get the rings off with every cleaning product known to man. I have to admit, with me it's become a "what now!" kind of thing, too. Not the mindset I really want to have, but ...

twohappycampers

The rings around my sink are not merely a reflection. I'd like to know if anyone else has experienced this. They haven't always been there, just appeared a week or so ago. And they are rather unsightly, it looks as if the sink is dirty (ring(s)-around-the-sink). If this is happening with some else's sink, I'll have some ammunition to go to my dealer and ask for a new sink, maybe?!

Thanks!

brianharrison

Lorna, from memory, I have seen rings around the top part of my vessel sink as well. I'll look again tonight and let you know if they are still there.

Brian

back2nature

Well, I hoping it just a reflection for you too. Sorry, it isn't. Have no idea what it could be. I am assuming you did look it it with the lights off, huh?. I also, only clean my sink with a spray bottle of vinegar and water. I don't want to put any harsh chemicals on it.

twohappycampers

Well, I hoping it just a reflection for you too. Sorry, it isn't. Have no idea what it could be. I am assuming you did look it it with the lights off, huh?. I also, only clean my sink with a spray bottle of vinegar and water. I don't want to put any harsh chemicals on it.

Yep, I studied it and studied it every which way but loose - lights on, lights off, close up, far away, standing on my head ... :D We must be talking about different rings? I was cleaning my sink with only a mild soap and water, and the darned things showed up. This morning I tried vinegar and water in case it was minerals, nope! Strangest thing.

brianharrison

Yes there is a ring around the top of my vessel sink. It appears to be on the outside of the bowl about an inch down. I think it is a refraction of the light entering the beveled lip of the bowl.

When I put my finger over the "ring" (backside of bowl) and then put my other hand directly on top of the beveled lip the ring disappears from where Ihave stopped the light from entering into the glass lip.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it......:)

Brian

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
No rings here (knock on wood) but I do clean the inside of the sink with Gel-Gloss. Makes it look brand new! Haven't tried it on the outside (frosted) glass.

back2nature

Yes there is a ring around the top of my vessel sink. It appears to be on the outside of the bowl about an inch down. I think it is a refraction of the light entering the beveled lip of the bowl.

When I put my finger over the "ring" (backside of bowl) and then put my other hand directly on top of the beveled lip the ring disappears from where Ihave stopped the light from entering into the glass lip.

Brian, that's what I discovered about my "rings".

dieselsweetheart

I have a vessel in my master bathroom at home and I love it. We also have those rings! I looked at it good last night when I read your thread, otherwise I hadn't noticed. So it must be "normal" if I have them on mine.... I don't have the clear green, I have the frosted bowl...and I just clean with a gentle cleaner...I make sure I clean it with water after each use of brushing teeth, washing face with soap, etc...

twohappycampers

Wonder how many others went running to their vessel sinks to check for rings :D I feel a little foolish! Yep, it's the light refraction thing that someone said - or reflection that someone else said. Sorry I ever doubted you! I have a number of rings in different configurations depending on which light source(s) is on in the bathroom at the time, and I have the vanity lights, the two lights in the ceiling, the skylight in the bathroom, the nightlight, light coming from the bedroom - in fact, you can't see the rings at all when it's totally dark - now that's just me being silly!!

So, friends, wasn't that fun?! :p

twohappycampers

You're right there! Yep, I'm back to loving my pretty sink :), one thing that so delighted me when I first saw this unit. In fact, I keep having to remind myself of all the things I liked so much when I first saw it and first bought it - I'm spending too much time and energy dwelling on all the things that I've been noticing that aren't perfect and that need fixing, as well as those things that aren't perfect and I'm just going to have to live with and try to ignore. That's why this sink ring thing came up, I'm starting to look for things that are wrong. Obviously those sink rings were there all along and I never even took notice before I started picking at things.

I was bedazzled at first, but when you start actually spending time in your new place, reality sets in - like the low quality of the carpeting, the furniture, the mattress, the difficult hard surface countertop, ummmm ... see, there I go. And then you go to this forum and there are so many people writing about so many problems. It can mess with my mind.

Oopsie - now I'm getting carried away. :eek: Pardon my rant.

back2nature

Lorna, I understand what your mean, but don't try to compare the quality to a stick house. I think, with the manufacture, there are two critical things to keep in mind when they are building these units. One is WEIGHT and the other is COST. Because of those things, of course there is going to be things that need working on. When we first got the RV, we spend some time working out all the "kinks", and there were a bunch. But it's good now.

I feel what we bought from Heartland is a beautiful unit for a very good price. Look at all the things we can do with it, all the places we can go. I love that I can have my own bed and bathroom, and not be in a hotel, where who knows who slept in that bed before me. Plus I have my pets with me. And it sure beats setting up a tent.

Lorna, work out the "bugs" and then settle back and enjoy you new rig.

twohappycampers

Lorna, I understand what your mean, but don't try to compare the quality to a stick house. I think, with the manufacture, there are two critical things to keep in mind when they are building these units. One is WEIGHT and the other is COST. Because of those things, of course there is going to be things that need working on. When we first got the RV, we spend some time working out all the "kinks", and there were a bunch. But it's good now.

I feel what we bought from Heartland is a beautiful unit for a very good price. Look at all the things we can do with it, all the places we can go. I love that I can have my own bed and bathroom, and not be in a hotel, where who knows who slept in that bed before me. Plus I have my pets with me. And it sure beats setting up a tent.

Lorna, work out the "bugs" and then settle back and enjoy you new rig.

You're right, Laurie, and thanks! That's exactly what I'm doing, and this is why - it's our home and our only home and we don't travel in it, it just sits on it's cute little spot in an RV Park, and we live in it while my husband works. So I am looking at it in terms of being a "house", and that's where I'm getting into a little trouble. I wrote something before where I said I was happier now that I was changing my way of thinking - that this is a 5th wheel and NOT a house, and that I shouldn't expect the same quality.

Maybe I should put a little reminder sign on my fridge or something - that might help?

Thanks again! Lorna

back2nature

Haha, right. It's not a "house" but it's your house. The reason we picked the model we did, was to be comfortable in it as our only house. Our house is on the market, (taking way too long to sell in this real estate market in California) and then we will be in our BigHorn as our only house too, for a while, maybe a year. So it does make you think a little differently than "just a vacation RV".