Refrigerator drain hose question for ya'll

GoinNorth

We have had a fantastic inaugural season with our Caliber!
My question is, who exposes their refer drain hose out through the vent?
On a couple occasions, I've found water on the floor of my rear storage compartment. Initially, I thought it was due to a bad seal on the door, but now I'm wondering it it wasn't overflow thaw from the freezer, as I found that my refer drain hose had a plug in it.
So who sends their hose out the door, and for those that do not, is the small water tray big enough to catch the thaw water?
Thanx for your comments!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess depending on the model of the fridge it can go either way, in or out. I keep ours out but I have it covered with aluminum flashing tape to protect it from UV exposure. If you leave it exposed, it will deteriorate and break off. Also make sure the little cap is in the end to prevent little creatures from getting in.

brianharrison

I always leave the end of the refer drain tube poking out of the slits for the lower vent. It drains the condensation from the refer cooling fins. The amount varies depending on outside humidity and how often I open/close the door. This hose has the perforated plug on the end that Ray mentions.

A collection tray inside the compartment would collect the water - whether it would evaporate faster than it accumulates depends on many factors - try it and find out......

Hope this helps,
Brian

Birchwood

What a coincidence I just replaced my drain hose from my 4 door fridge after 2 years.I guess it only lasts
a couple years as it was so brittle you could crush it with your pinky.I replaced it with clear plastic tubing
and it was no big deal to install the tubing.Its just one of the many things you have to replace or repair
after a couple years of full time use.These RV units units don't have the quality materials for full timing
but where I am retired it gives me something to do in my spare time.Its a challange!