Sealand toilet problem on Bighorn

Our sealand toilet keeps coming loose from the floor. The first repairman said that the floor under the toilet was rotted out and needed to be replaced. We were traveling so didn't have time for him to replace the floor. The second stop we took it to a repair shop who installed larger bolts where the older ones had stripped out, but said the floor did not need to be replaced. Today only one week after the toilet had been "fixed", it came loose again. Anyone else having this problem. This is getting a little frustrating. We have a local repairman here again today!

Thanks!

GOTTOYS

Sounds to me like it's time to look at whether the floor really does need to be replaced or not. Or maybe some type of anchor could be installed into the obviously weakened floor under the toilet...Just thinking..Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Jim, It sounds like you're going to have to remove the basement access panel and get in there and check the floor from the bottom. The floor is either 5/8 or 3/4 inch OSB sheathing. There is an aluminum frame surrounding the hole but it's not close enough to screw into. You may have to cut and install new wood around the drain pipe and then use longer screws to reach the new wood. I would consider using a short piece of 1X12 hardwood instead of plywood. Once you get under, it will be easy to what I'm talking about. In fact, I can take a picture.

Attachments

• Under toilet.jpg
    Under toilet.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would consider usung some PL*00, and gluing a board to the bottom. A board larger than the footprint of the toilet. Then use longer screws from the top to secure the toilet, going through both boards.PeaceDave

HappyKayakers

In your situation I would first find out if the floor really is rotted. If it is, I would not mess around trying to add more wood. I would cut out the bad portion entirely so it doesn't spread. Then cut a new piece of hardwood or plywood to fit. I had to do that exact same fix in a mobile home. Not much different, just a little more room to work in the other bathroom.