Internet Access on the road

Dee

Hi All I am a new Member with a question,
What do you folks recommend for internet access?

I find that the Wi Fi at Many campgrounds here on the west coast are marginal, and some non existant?
I am a verizon phone customer, and am wondering about a smart phone hooked up to a lap top.

Any thoughts or reccomendations would be very appreciated.

Dee

davebennington

Hi Dee,

We just returned from a trip that included Canada, Alaska and many western states. I understand your problem, campground WIFI's are poor at best very few have a WIFI that will satisfy your internet needs the bad part is you donot know just how bad it is until you pay your money and try to get on the internet. We use a Hughes HN7000S modem and dish, it does take some time to setup and it is my understanding the only way you can get one now days is off of Ebay. If yoiu need any help or questions PM me and I will help if I can,

Dave

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Hi Dee,

For the past 5 years I have used a Black Berry from Verizon to connect to the Internet when on the road. Mind you the tethering plan only gets you 5GB so you need to watch what you do. If you are only checking emails and checking the web ( not down loading music or streaming videos ( you tube ) ) then 5GB will do you just fine. I use a Wireless Router that I connect my BB to and it creates a very local ( 100ft ) Wifi area for my laptop.

Kevin

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also use the Verizon MiFi which is pretty fast when you are in areas that have the 4G network up and running. The MiFi is a 5G plan and in the year we have had it, we haven't gotten anywhere near the limit but we also don't download any music or movies.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
You might want to contact Matt at the 3-G store. He is a contributor here and gives good advice that is easy to understand, not a lot of techno-geek terms. We use a Verizon Mifi also and have had good luck with it. We began with a Verizon air card and router that we bought from the 3-G store.

cableman

We also use a verizon Mifi. Have never maxed out the gigs but don't full time. This has my vote because it works almost anywhere. I am using it right now. Can you here me now?

mmomega

AnyTimer
Verizon MiFi 4G LTE here and it has been a great little addition. I used to tether to my iPhone and our iPad has 3G but this way I could just turn off the iPad service.
It's very easy, tap a button and use it going down the road in the camper, wherever you want. I have yet to find an area where this thing didn't pull reception.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I also have the Verizon MiFi 4510L. Got it through Matt at the 3G Store. I'm using it right now. Had some hiccups at first getting it to connect to the tower, but once it did, it's been fine. At home, we have cable internet, so the MiFi only gets used when we're at the campground. We have not come close to using the 5GB, and you can monitor your usage on Verizon's website. They will also send you e-mails of your usage at the alert levels you select. You can also suspend your account for up to 3 months at a time, which stops the billing but extends the 2 year contract for the off-time.

back2nature

We use our Verizon cell phones. Most of the time it was better than the crowded campground wi-fi, which kept losing connection. Either I plug my husband's Blackberry (with an unlimited data plan) into our Cradlepoint router, or I use my Android that has 3G mobile hotspot (wireless), then I don't need to hook up wires to the router. I only use the wireless router when I need to use the wireless printer. I have 2 GB's of data, and didn't even use half of it during the month we were traveling, and I was on it almost every day, uploading lots of pics too. Don't want to spend more money for an air card when we already have the phones.

3Gstore

I see that most of the members are spot on with the MiFi solution! This is a very popular system because you get that portability if you go outside for a walk and have that more powerful option in the RV with a Cradlepoint router. Dee sent me a PM in regards to her question but for people browsing my recommendation was the MBR95 & MiFi 4510L combo for the best of both worlds.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We used to use the MiFi but in the last month I sold it and got a Galaxy Tablet with the MiFi installed. It only has 2GB but if you go over they just charge you $10.00 for each GB used. We had the MiFi for a year and a half and never went over 2GB. If I want to download something I wait until I get to a campground that has good WiFi. I reall do like the 7.7 tablet. You can do everything with it that you can a bigger tablet.

Dee

I want to thank you all for the great info, esp Matt who has responded by PM a couple times.
I am going to continue to watch this forum, and also stop by and see when my current phone contract
runs out. however at this point the MI Fi system looks to be in the lead.
Thank you all so much. what a great resource this forum is.
By the way I am definetly a male Dad just thought naming me Dee was funny!
Dorleen is the female side of this family.

pegmikef

What is Mi Fi in laymen's terms? I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything, I just want to understand what everybody is talking about. Thanks

bill40

We still use a old Verizon PC5740 broadband wireless card. Probably should update but it works well for us, is on the unlimited and on our trips coast to coast we have not found a place it doesn't work.

danemayer

What is Mi Fi in laymen's terms? I'm not trying to hijack this thread or anything, I just want to understand what everybody is talking about. Thanks

MiFi is a device that connects to the internet, usually through a wireless carrier's data plan (Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, others). The MiFi device also creates a wireless network (WiFi) in and immediately around your RV to which you can wirelessly connect computers, smartphones, etc.

So when you tell your computer to wirelessly connect to the WiFi created by the MiFi, your computer is thereby connected to the internet.

MiFi devices may sell for anywhere from free to $200 depending on what type it is and whether you sign up for a 2 year data plan. For example, VirginMobile has a MiFi that sells for around $150 without requiring a plan commitment. You pay as you go. But even though it's 3G, it's a bit on the slow side and the coverage area around the U.S. is much more limited than say Verizon.

PUG

Pug
Dee;
I have had the same problems with campgrounds. I also have a sailboat and a cabin in a remote area near Stanley Idaho. At those places I get maybe 1 bar at the best.

I have a Verizon Palm cellphone that has a built in MyFi as do most cell phones. I purchased the Palm as I am cheap and the MyFi was free. When in an area where the signal is good I just hook my laptop to the cellphone. When in an area where the signal is lousy I use a Wilson Amplifier. It has an external antenna (about 12 inch), the amplifier itself, and a pad that I stick to the back of the cellphone. It connects to AC or DC with attachments I have gotten. It receives the signal from the celltower, amplifies it, and then the signal via the cellphone is sent to my laptop wirelessly.

I can receive a 1 bar signal and amplify it where I am getting three bars and have good cell phone and internet service.

Here is a link> http://www.wilsonamplifierstore.com...vehicle-kits?gclid=CKfR_PuEk6sCFRJX7Aod7FN3ww

pegmikef

Thanks for the explanation Dan. I guess that's that data card Verizon keeps trying to sell me . . 5 gigabytes of data for 50 dollars.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use ATT USB connect Mercury broadband card. We have had it for quite some time and are under an unlimited plan. It works great 99% of the time and the other 1% nothing works (phones or broadband) and when that happens we use the park the we are at Wi-Fi. As a backup I have an ATT I-phone with unlimited data and DW has a Verizon Droid with unlimited data.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Having MiFi access is also more secure since you create a password to access it. And it's available to you when the CG's WiFi is loaded up with every other camper trying to access the internet or download games and videos.