• Type: Breads
  • Category: Before Meal
  • Special:
Meta Data
=============================
  • Yield: 20 servings
  • Prep Time: 30 minutes
  • Ready in: 45 minutes
  • Difficulty: 2 ( 1 - Easy, 5 - Difficult )
  • Source: Jim Beletti (jbeletti)
Ingredients
  • 2 broad loaves Italian bread
  • 3 whole heads Garlic
  • 1/2 cup Olive Oil
  • coarse ground Pepper
  • coarse ground Sea or Kosher Salt
  • 1 tablespoon Italian Seasonings
  • 1/4 cup ground Parmesan Cheese
Preparation Instructions

Prepare the Garlic for Roasting
  • Remove most of the layers of paper from garlic heads, leaving the bulbs intact so you sill have a whole head
  • Using a small paring knife, remove the tips of each garlic bulb
  • Place garlic into a foil pan or into heavy-duty foil
  • Drizzle Olive Oil onto garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper
  • Cover pan or close up foil and roast the garlic in the oven at 325 degrees F until garlic turns light brown or roast in the grill on low. When roasting on the grill, I place my garlic cooking vessel on top of an inverted foil pan to keep the garlic a couple inches up from the grate
  • When the garlic is done, remove from heat and allow to cool a half hour or longer
  • When cool, either squeeze the head of garlic to force/express the garlic from the bulbs or use a butter knife and remove each bulb (easier method)
Prepare and Toast the Bread
  • On a slight bias, slice off the end of the bread loaf, then slice the loaf on a bias into 1/2" to 3/4" slices (about 9 to 12 slices)
  • Combine Olive Oil, Italian Seasonings and Parmesan Cheese in a bowl
  • Using a small brush, lighting brush both sides of each bread slice with the oil mixture
  • On a medium low heat grill, place all the slices of bread
  • Close the grill lid and grill for a minute or two, then check each slice. When a slice has great looking grill marks and starts to get toasted, flip it over
  • It will take about 10 minutes to grill/toast the each loaf
Adding the Garlic Layer :)
  • As desired, take a certain amount of slices of toasted bread and spread the roasted garlic on one side of each, leaving a few slices without garlic for those who are not so inclined

Tips
Use of the Parmesan Cheese is new for me but I rather like it. Consider it optional.

Use of the Italian seasoning is also rather new for me. I like it. You may wish to experiment with other herbs and spices.

Pitfalls
Be very careful when grilling the bread. If your grill heat is too high or if you check the bread too infrequently, you'll end up with a big batch of burnt toast :(

Variation Ideas
Use this recipe without the cheese and maybe without the garlic as a base for Bruschetta :)