Satellite connections please explain

Pulltab

After getting our unit home I see there are 2 satellite connections and 1 cable. None of the connections allowed our satellite to work. So I pull the plate from the wall and there is no wire connected to the back of it ! I had to take one of the wires connected to a satellite port and connect to the back. Can anyone post a diagrahm of the antenna booster connection and routing of wires? I still don't know what the other satellite connection does, I traced the wire as far as I could and it continues to go up thru the wall where the other wires come in at. I am curious whether or not this is actually the antenna wire. What a mess, obviously this in not a part of inspection when leaving the factory. :( I don't mind working on it but would like to know how it works.

Forrest Fetherolf

Pulltab,
You can find the cable wiring diagram if you go the Heartlandrvs.com, then fifth wheel, then Bighorn, then literature, then audio/video schematics. Yours should look like the picture, if the factory did all the right things.
Forrest

ChopperBill

The satellite nightmare has been going on forever! Such a simple thing will drive you nuts and I can not for the life of me figure out why they cant leave the factory working as they should after all this time. My dealer ended up pulling all new cables because the end connectors were not crimped on correctly. Guess you can crimp on new ends but that doesn't take in the factor that there may be a staple or nail punched through the cable. Don't blame your self on the PDI because most of us did the same thing and that was to take everyones word that it worked.

guy_914

Bighorn satellite / cable connections

On our 2008 BH 3400 RL made March 22....just found out this week...the schematic posted on the Heartland website is not correct...is out of date. i found out be calling Heartland customer support....they gave the corrected verison to me by PDF.

If i did this right...it should attach to this post

John in WI

Attachments

• Bighorn A_V doc_5_8_2007.pdf
    366.5 KB · Views: 120

ChopperBill

You can find a ground between the center wire and the shield with a simple continuity tester (multi-meter) from Harbor Freight for about $3. (if you don't already have one, I have four of 'em)Or just a plain tester with a light and a wire. If one end shows a ground you can replace that end but it is a 50-50 chance it could be the other end. If that end doesn't cure the problem cut off the other end and before you put on another end check for continuity on that end. If there is you might as pull another cable as it probably has a nail or stable through it. No sense in waisting another end. Good luck.
on edit: It only takes one itsy bittsy strand on the shield wire to mess up the works so just a visual check wont always find the culprit.

jpmorgan37

You are absolutely right Bill. The thing I like about this little tool is if you are working on a bundle, or a 50 foot cable, you can quickly find the other end of the cable in the bundle or find a short or open in an individual cable. I make cables up to 100 feet long and I test them to be sure they are good. It also helped me when I was sorting out the cables in my coach.

John

ChopperBill

That little devise looks like something I could use in my tool box. Thought maybe Pulltab may want to get after his problem before it would arive.