Baja Mexico Info

Planning on visiting upper part of the Baja this winter, staying in San Quintin, Guerrero Negro and Santa Rosalia. Any suggestions on RV campgrounds in those towns? Any caveats for crossing the border in Tecate? Thanks!

Lance & Jo

There are several good guide books on RVing on the Baja, I think the Church's do the most up to date stuff but all are good to a point. With that said we have been in Mx since 2001 and have spent most of that time either on our boat or in the trailer on the Baja and in the Sea of Cortez. Will send you a PM with phone number in case you would like to talk a little.

In answer to some of your questions, many fjolks like to stage at Protero campground about 6 miles north of Tecate. It's a nice San Diego county campground close to Tecate so you can take care of any visa paperwork and get a full tank of cheaper fuel before actually crossing the border in your rig. The actual crossing fwill only take minutes but suggest you plan on early AM departure t o avoid Tecate traffic and to make an early arrival at San Quintin. While there we like the El Pabellon Trailer Park located at KM 16/17 just south of San Quitin. It's on the beach with lots of good beach walking and local fishermen to trade with. Our next stop is generally Rancho Santa Inez in Catavina, makes for a short day but breaks up the otherwise long day to Gureo Negro. Campground is about 1/2 mile off the highway and basically just a large field but very quiet with lots of good hikeing. Next stop is Guerrero Negro, we like the Maalarrimo Restaurant, Motel and RV Park, it's on the main street on the right as you enter town. Good Restaurant and easy in-out RV park.

You can make it to Santa Rosalia the next day but I suggest you plan on stopping at San Ignacio, look for th Rice and Beans RV park sign as you enter town. This is a neat little Mx town with a high desert lagoon to visit and your real first opportunity to spend time in a town square and meat some of the locals. The other real reason is so you can get a decent start to the next day as this will be hardest part of Hwy 1 to deal with. the grade going down to Santa Rosalia is very (as in VERY) steep. However nothing to worry about just check the brakes before starting down and take it slowely and enjoy the view. We do it in 1st gear, exhaust brake on and 10-15 mph.

Have never stayed in Santa Rosallia with the RV but have been there many times on the boat. Really neat town with lots of history but what ever you do don't leave town without trying the hot dogs across the street from the church. Anyone can direct you to the church, it was built by the French and designed by Eifle (sp?), same guy who did the tower!

Lance & Jo

Somehow left off the last couple thoughts so...

This is getting long so will call it enough just call or send E mail if you would like more info. We plan on being in Protero around 3rd week in Oct and back in La Paz around first week in Nov. if you get that far down.

One last thought is along with the guide book pick up a road atlas for the Baja, very handy thing to have and make sure to travel with lots of fresh water in case of problems along the road.</SPAN></SPAN>

Yellowreef

Things are not looking good security wise in and near Tecate lately, and neither for beach towns in Baja for that matter. You could not pay me enough money to go down there even in a rented and fully insured rig. To each their own but be safe and see about traveling with other rigs in caravans, those are sometimes organized. Trust me when I tell you that 99% of people here in the US have no clue what goes on in those parts. Just because an area has resorts and campgrounds doesnt mean its immune to the violence that is sweeping across Mexico. Lets just say I receive daily detailed information on the going-ons down there. I know a stranger's words probably wont sway any of you that have been going down there for years and never had a problem. But it just takes that one time and many tourists have paid the price for wrong place at the wrong time lately. I'll put it this way, if you were my family or loved one I would take off your tires and steal our rig keys before I let you go down there.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yellowreef,
I have to agree. After driving to Mexico for 40 years, I am now leary and have not done so in about 5 years. I may walk to Algodones, for the day, or fly to resorts in the south.
As for extensive driving in Mexico, that is on hold until further notice. Especially with family. Too bad too. I have loved camping in Mexico for years.
Living 50 miles from the border, I hear all the details, like you. I still don't think you can even carry anything to protect yourself. IMHO.
Trace

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Yellowreef,
I have to agree. After driving to Mexico for 40 years, I am now leary and have not done so in about 5 years. I may walk to Algodones, for the day, or fly to resorts in the south.
As for extensive driving in Mexico, that is on hold until further notice. Especially with family. Too bad too. I have loved camping in Mexico for years.
Living 50 miles from the border, I hear all the details, like you. I still don't think you can even carry anything to protect yourself. IMHO.
Trace

Wouldn't do any good even if you could thanks to the brilliant work of the government in their gun running operation. You'd pull out a pistol and the bandelero's would point 50-cals at you.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wouldn't do any good even if you could thanks to the brilliant work of the government in their gun running operation. You'd pull out a pistol and the bandelero's would point 50-cals at you.

You've got a point there. It might work against small time banditos, however.

Yellowreef

Well in reality there's less of a chance of you being the target (although they do take nicer trucks/SUVs to be put into their "fleet" at the narco checkpoints) and more of a chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time when they decide to turn the sleepy resort town into Fallujah. Somehow I don't think it'd be good to be in the middle of one of those daily running gunbattles where army, police and bad guys take casualties numbering in the dozens. Then again, I personally know a guy who went down with the wife and kids to a "safe" tourist spot three months ago, and ended up having to take evasive action for 40 minutes all the way back to the border while two blacked out SUVs were chasing him at high speeds trying to "stop" him by attempting to run him off the road. Granted, person very well trained in evasive action/emergency driving but that's just something you don't want to do with the wife and babies in the car, or in your personally owned car for that matter. And most definitely something you wouldn't be able to do pulling an rv.