accumulator?

Tinman

I have a new bc2950. When dry camping once my pump is primed I can run the water for at least 30 seconds with no change in flow before the pump comes on. It acts like a water pump accumulator is installed . There is not.
Made 4 trips with no change. Any guesses?

jimtoo

Hi Tinman,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I only use our pump if stopping for a break on the road... so I don't know.. maybe some of our other folks may have an idea.

Enjoy the forum and your Big Country.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When you run the pump for any length of time, you pressurize the entire plumbing system. What you're getting is the residual pressure bleeding off until the pump comes on again to build the pressure back up. So far, I've only used my pump to winterize.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Sounds like air is trapped in the system, you could have a slight suction air leak at the pump/tank allowing air back in the piping. Try opening all the valves in the entire system to release this air ( don't forget the outside shower).

danemayer

We use our fresh water at rest stops while travelling and will sometimes get maybe 5-10 seconds of water flow if we've forgotten to turn the pump on before opening the faucet. Never 30 seconds.

Maybe when you shut off the faucet, the pump doesn't shut off right away. I would assume the pump has a pressure sensor that turns it on and off. If it's running for 5 or 10 seconds after you close the faucet, it's building up pressure between the pump and faucet(s), which could act like an accumulator. You should be able to test this as a theory by listening to the pump as you shut the faucet.

A less likely theory would be pressure buildup in the fresh tank. That would assume that the pressure causes water flow through the pump without the pump actually being energized electrically. You might be able to test this theory by opening the fresh tank drain valve. If water comes out forcefully, like from the nozzle you put on a hose, it's probably under pressure. My experience draining the tank is that it flows freely, but not forcefully. You might also be able to observe and feel the pump while faucets are opened and closed to try to determine if water if flowing through the pump when it's not energized. I would expect that any excess pressure would bleed off after a few uses and the cycle time would eventually get back to normal (as if no accumulator).

A lot of people have trouble filling the fresh tank. If you're forcing water into your fresh tank to fill it (rather than allowing gravity flow of the water), and your tank vent line is blocked, you may be pressurizing the tank without realizing it.

In any case, excess pressure in the system sounds like a good way to end up with a water leak or ruptured tank. You should keep looking for the cause.

Tinman

Pipes and hoses are either pex or reenforced plastic therefore not allowing for expansion. Tried all water outlets with no air coming out. If there was a leak the pump would come on intermittently and does not. Strange but true. Works great but not right

Manzan

There is normally a space above the water in the water heater that is filled with air. This makes the water heater act as an accumulator. In fact, it is often recommended that the air space be renewed every now and then to allow pressure to build up and allow the pump to cycle.