NT dinette seats already flattening, collapsing :(

RanCarr

Our NT 28-BRS Was bought this past March. We've camped in it maybe 6, 7 times. The dinette seats are already flattening and collapsing and we just sit on them to eat. Comparing again.... our old 1982 Sunline, well used, did not have this problem, nor did the Zinger. When we got up from those seats they sprang back into shape. Not in the TN28. Whatever material they're made out of has to be defective. What do we do? They'll soon be flat as pancakes. :( Will Heartland replace them with quality cushions that will keep their shape? The TT is still under warranty.

Saildogs

We have the same issue with our NT 24RBS and have decided to simply replace the foam over the winter. We plan on taking the cushions to one of the local boat canvas/cushion shops.

RanCarr

What prices have you been quoted for better cushions? I know good ones are not cheap. They're defective and Heartland should replace them, not the person buying a brand new trailer.

Don't you feel we should have gotten decent cushions in these TTs from the start? Other companies supply quality, why not Heartland? We've already spend several hundred dollars on this BRS to increase ventilation because of the type windows it has. I don't relish another couple of hundred for new good quality cushions.

RanCarr

the same with all NT units. I really don't know why it has not changed. mine in 09 model.

Maybe because not enough people are complaining to the dealers and the company. These seats are a joke. They're obviously for show and not to actually use. Another problem with them is they slide forward, the backrest slipping down, unlike those in other brands of TTs. How can the engineers who design these TTs not be aware of these flaws? And now I'm noticing the surround in the shower is letting go. It appears not enough glue was used between the "buttons" that hold the surround onto the wall. The outdoor shower head sticks and the hose for the outdoor shower is so close to the hot water handle it's hard to turn the hot water on and off.

Manzan

I grant you that the cushions could be better but these are far better than what were in our SOB. I can sit on these without getting TB-tired butt, and I weigh close to 300#. (Spreading the weight around more?) We looked at foam to replace the old seats and the best quality was quite pricey. Opted not to go that route and bought our 21 FBS six months later.

RanCarr

I grant you that the cushions could be better but these are far better than what were in our SOB. I can sit on these without getting TB-tired butt, and I weigh close to 300#. (Spreading the weight around more?) We looked at foam to replace the old seats and the best quality was quite pricey. Opted not to go that route and bought our 21 FBS six months later.

What is an SOB? Anything would be better than these cushions. This is a brand new TT hardly used all things considered. We only have it 7 months and we don't live in it. We plan to call Heartland this week. How did you sell the old one with flat cushions? It's galling when you consider my old 1982 Sunline had the original cushions and zippered covers and not even a dent in the area people sat. The Zinger we had for a year, spent plenty of time in it, and the cushions still looked brand new when we sold it. The one cushion in the new NT-28-BRS, especially, looks like it's "old" and worn out. Neither of us are near 300 lbs but that shouldn't matter.

What kind of cushions are in your new 21 FBS?

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
I agree the cushions are cheesy! They don't bounce back much after you sit on them, that is for darn sure.

We have replaced all of the baby poop yellowish color fabric in the trailer, except for the dinnette cushions, we just plan on wearing them out and then making new ones.

I don't know if it is just Heartland, but nobody seems to make things like they used too!

SOB: it took me a while to figure out what that was when I joined the forum. I use that word a lot, but it has a different meaning.:D

TeJay

As with many item today. The bottom line is just that. It's the bottom line. All manufacturers will cut corners where they can get away with it. Good foam for cushions can be very expensive. I recently saw some high end Stickly (Mission style) furniture. One lounge chair was $5000+. I don't like mission style furniture but my buddies do. You can buy chairs for much less but this one was really really nice and it had a leather cushion that was wonderfully comfortable. I also know that the leather was the best money could buy. Those cushions had three different densities of top quality foam. You get what you pay for and all manufacturers will cut if they can get away with it.
Another point of information while we are on cost cutting issues. I taught automotive for 35 years and never saw anything on wheels that didn't have shocks. Well most TT's don't come from the factory with shocks. Why??? We don't ride in them when we travel like a motor home and because everybody assumes that you don't need them so why complain. They simply bounce along behind the TV. My question is why wouldn't you want the trailer behind you to stop bouncing when it hits bumps??? That bouncing is transmitted to the TV, is it not?? They don't put them on from the factory because it saves them money. The same reason that most don't put radial tires on trailers from the factory. Why wouldn't you want radial tires???? Lets see: they have less internal rolling resistance therefore they are easier to pull which saves fuel they run cooler which means they last longer because of the lower heat. Daah, seems like a no brainer to me but not everybody agrees. Every car, truck and SUV manufactured in the last 25 years comes out of the factory with radial tires as standard equipment. Even 18 wheelers all run with radial tires. Utility and travel trailers (some do) are the only ones that don't come standard with radial tires. There can be only one reason $$$$$$.

TeJay

RanCarr

I agree the cushions are cheesy! They don't bounce back much after you sit on them, that is for darn sure.

We have replaced all of the baby poop yellowish color fabric in the trailer, except for the dinnette cushions, we just plan on wearing them out and then making new ones.

I don't know if it is just Heartland, but nobody seems to make things like they used too!

SOB: it took me a while to figure out what that was when I joined the forum. I use that word a lot, but it has a different meaning.:D

I figured SOB wasn't the usual meaning for the letters. ;) I also replaced the dreadful gold/yellow curtains in the bedroom. The other rooms have the shades on strings. I pushed them up and added curtains on pressure rods inside the box thing around the windows. They're easier to open and close.

I didn't see the quality of years ago when we were TT shopping. Not in that size range and a TT. What we should have done was look at the older TTs. It was hard for us to find one with the BRS28 floor plan though. We needed a real bed at each end and that was really hard to find with the rear bathroom. Most bunk models had bunks on each side in the rear and the toilet somewhere in the middle. We also liked the fact the TT could be used with the slide in. We really like the layout.

But these cushions really take the prize for cheapness and poor quality. I wonder if Heartland realizes they can't be used and should just be looked at. :D

Marge

We like the fact that the slide does not have to be out, especially since it still leaked in a really BAD rainstorm, but does not leak when it is in, so if we have to pull it in during a monsoon, we can still have room to move.

I put a curtain on/over the back door, it makes it more homey for us. And makes it much darker at night too.

We had 2 older morothomes before this trailer and they were really built to last! But we needed a new rig and a change.

RanCarr

We like the fact that the slide does not have to be out, especially since it still leaked in a really BAD rainstorm, but does not leak when it is in, so if we have to pull it in during a monsoon, we can still have room to move.

Our slide-out doesn't leak thank God. That would be the last straw.

I put a curtain on/over the back door, it makes it more homey for us. And makes it much darker at night too.

I'm not familiar with the layout of yours. I added a floor to ceiling curtain between the kitchen and toilet/bunks for more privacy in the back of the TT. We just used a drape pressure rod. :)

We had 2 older morothomes before this trailer and they were really built to last! But we needed a new rig and a change.

Overall how do you like your rig? Did you buy it new or used?

traveler44

I can't help you with the quality of your cushions but we use velcrow under ours to keep them from sliding around and to keep the backs in place too. We got ours from a different brand because the DW wanted a dinette in the place of the table and chairs that came in ours. Some dealers have extra dinnettes that they have removed for people who preferred the table and chairs. We got ours cheap that way. Tom M.

Marge

Our slide-out doesn't leak thank God. That would be the last straw.

I'm not familiar with the layout of yours. I added a floor to ceiling curtain between the kitchen and toilet/bunks for more privacy in the back of the TT. We just used a drape pressure rod. :)

Overall how do you like your rig? Did you buy it new or used?
Ours has a Queen bed in the front, so light comes in through the front door window, even though it is frosted of course.
We do like our rig, but we should have looked around more, we have been looking at trailers casually for a few years, because we were going to get something brand new, but not right away. My husband retired this year and I have 3 to go.

Then we went to an RV show in March....it was just like in The Long Long Trailer...."And then we saw IT".

We have had a lot of problems getting this leak fixed, and then a few other minor problems, which of course just compounded our disappointment. We thought "Oh boy we will get something brand new and really be set." Oh brother if we only knew. (it was at the RV dealers off and on for 53 days trying to fix the leak)

I didn't join the forum to bash the trailer, but to get some help and a few folks on here had some great advice in helping us run down the problem with the leaking issue. And also help solve some other problems.

Let's say we like it a lot now...We are taking off this Saturday the 17th, for a week on the coast. This will be our 4th trip in it. We sure like how easy it is to tow, that is a major plus.

I can't help you with the quality of your cushions but we use velcrow under ours to keep them from sliding around and to keep the backs in place too. We got ours from a different brand because the DW wanted a dinette in the place of the table and chairs that came in ours. Some dealers have extra dinnettes that they have removed for people who preferred the table and chairs. We got ours cheap that way. Tom M.

Our cushions stay put rather well so far! I'm with your wife I have to have a dinette, that was a major consideration for us.

Saildogs

Since the NT line is supposed to be "light weight" I expect there will be things such as the dinette cushions that are not as dense and heavy. It seems a simple fix to get better foam as the fabric is holding up very well. We love the floorplan of our NT and have not seen any others that work as well for us, even larger size trailers.

Marge

Since the NT line is supposed to be "light weight" I expect there will be things such as the dinette cushions that are not as dense and heavy. It seems a simple fix to get better foam as the fabric is holding up very well. We love the floorplan of our NT and have not seen any others that work as well for us, even larger size trailers.
We like the floor plan too.
Whenever I mention something is "cheap" in the trailer my husband points out it is not cheap it is "lightweight". Also there are many really nice things in this TT, I love the flooring, the counter top in the kitchen is really nice and it has so much room, actually enough counterspace to be useable! The cabinets are really well made and I love the glass in them.