Heard a rumor that 2012 will be the last year for the MPG?

marc515

Heard a rumor over the weekend that 2012 will be the last year for the MPG; not sure I understand why they would eliminate the MPG from the lineup?

Seems to me with all the newer and smaller SUV's, there would be a strong market for light weight (under 4,000 GVWR) campers.

Confirm, or put this to rest?

kb0zke

Nothing was said at the Rally this summer, at least not in my hearing. Where did you hear this?

brains77396

Go to Heartlands web site and look at the different trailers. The Edge and MPG are no longer listed under their products. I also heard on the R-Pod forum that both had been discontinued.

Heard a rumor over the weekend that 2012 will be the last year for the MPG; not sure I understand why they would eliminate the MPG from the lineup?

Seems to me with all the newer and smaller SUV's, there would be a strong market for light weight (under 4,000 GVWR) campers.

Confirm, or put this to rest?

MPG185-GA

MCreech from Heartland posted the following on a different thread:

Heartland has shut down production of the MPG for now, that doesnt mean we wont start it up again and it doesnt mean we are not going to support the retail customers that have purchased an MPG.... Heartland will contiune to stand behind our product, no matter if we are currently building it or not. If you like the MPG and have found one on a dealers lot, by all means you should probably buy it..... Heartland will be here for you... Thanks Mike C

PapaMikey

Yep, the Heartland MPG series has been removed from the Heartland Website. I would like to think that I now own a retro MPG trailer that might one day be worth a lot of money, since a limited number of the models were manufactured. Or not. Glad I bought one when I did and the price was very good.

mtran868

I think Heartland is being sued by Rpod. The MPG is almost an exact copy (including the dome tent option). That may be why they aren't selling them anymore.

brains77396

I tried to trade my MPG 186 in on a Edge M-22 but my dealer and I could not come to terms to my bank account liking. In our case, nothing was wrong with the MPG, except the shortage of space for four people. Had I purchased the MPG with the full time bed, we would probably still have it. Converting the table to a bed for two weeks became a real pain. When we got up in the morning, there was no place to put the sheets, blankets and pillows for the boys were still in the bunk beds. We had a slide, water, screen door, and trim problem, which the dealer corrected, the slide with some prodding from Heartland. We had a very early model and I'm sure the quality control improved with experience on the assembly line. It towed well with our Frontier and even better with our Titan. I would not purchase another MPG, but would take the larger Edge in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

185T-WA

That will be interesting to see if they do resume building them. Everywhere I have been with mine, and I do mean EVERYWHERE, I get stopped and asked about it. Rest stops, gas stations, campgrounds, and even when driving people want to see it, see inside, want to know where I bought it, how much it weighs, cost, what is is like to pull, etc. The local dealer where I bought mine discounted them and sold them all out (mine was well discounted too).

I say all this as I am wondering if this interest just does not translate to more sales. Most of the people asking me about it are tent camping or tent-trailer camping and looking to move to something they don't have to set up to use.

185T-WA

An MPG in Washington State?

kb0zke

I agree that it is an attention-getter. We attended the Missouri Chapter Rally in Branson earlier this month, and then took the mpg to church in Bolivar for the voters meeting. After the meeting we gave several tours. Sunday an individual, who didn't get the tour, asked us about buying ours in a year or so!

camr

Heartland seems to be doing some really dumb things, like discontinuing both the Edge and MPG lines. These are truly the right trailers at the right time, perfect size and perfect weight. Many HOF members predicted bad things resulting from the Thor acquisition, and they seem to have come to fruition. Very sad, indeed.

kb0zke

Both the Edge and mpg are on the website as I type this. There is no indication on the mpg part that the line is discontinued.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Could it be that Heartland listened to all the complaints about dropping the Edge and MPG and changed their mind about it? They are known to listen to their customers... just sayin'

ryanman

I called Heartland today to ask a question about my MPG and they stated that it has been discontinued and they are no longer building them anymore...too bad. He did not know why and I asked several times but he insisted he did not know why.

They were very helpful and willing to answer any and all questions I had.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Ryan,

The MPG is a really cool RV. A lot of people bought them. Unfortunately, we just could not sell enough of them annually to justify keeping the line running.

I was at the last Missouri rally, held in Branson and there were 2 MPGs there - really cool. One guy had really personalized his.

Enjoy your MPG and stay out there showing off that cool RV!

Jim