edge refer warms while driving

PhotoPete

I have an edge 2012 m21 with a Dometic RML 8555 refer. We are on an extended driving tour. I have noticed that the refer will work correctly and keep things cold in all modes while stationary but while going down the road for several hours, it warms up. Now i have checked the mode its in. I have placed it in gas and 12 volt and both get no faults while driving. all modes work well while stationary.

outdoor temps have been 75 - 80 most of the time and the refer temps go from 33 or so when parked to 45+ when driving for 6 - 8 hours

Could this warming be due to too much air flow within the back of the unit? Would it make sense to try and limit the vents by say 50%??

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I wonder if the pilot light blows out then will cool when hooked to 120V. Never had any RV we have had do it.....BUT ya never know.

Bob&Patty

Pete I understand that when traveling your on 12V. But 12V means your fridge is using propane. 120V means your on strickly on electric...no propane needed. Hope I cleared that up for ya.

BTW, do you turn the propane tank OFF while traveling??? If so, that is your answer as to why it gets warm. We always travel with the propane on. Never had a problem with it in over 35 years of camping.

camr

Pete, if I remember correctly the heating part of the fridge is located behind the lower vent to the right side. I wonder if you did a test by covered the right 6 to 8 inches of the lower vent if that might limit the air rushing by the heater. I can see too much air flow blowing out the propane flame, but the 12 volt should still work, unless the air movement is stripping too much heat from the heating unit.
Something always bothers me about running down the road with the propane system open, but then my wife reminds me that I spent 24 years driving a semi pulling cryogenic tankers of liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen and then it doesn't seem that bad!!!!
Cam

Yellowreef

Pete I understand that when traveling your on 12V. But 12V means your fridge is using propane. 120V means your on strickly on electric...no propane needed. Hope I cleared that up for ya.

BTW, do you turn the propane tank OFF while traveling??? If so, that is your answer as to why it gets warm. We always travel with the propane on. Never had a problem with it in over 35 years of camping.

The fridge is three-way. Either gas, 120 or 12. The gas mode uses 12v but the 12v mode doesnt use gas.

Bob&Patty

Well maybe I was wrong on how the 12V works or an Edge has a different style fridge. I guess I need to read up on how they work. Our Horn only has 2 modes 12V or 120V. We leave the setting on auto all the time so the fridge does it's own thing. Does the Edge have an auto setting??

Last edited:

PhotoPete

Bob&patty, this is a RV refer and like all of them I have ever seen, they are not freon based they are ammonia based. They don't use a compressor, they heat with LPG, 120 volt or in my case 12v as well. That means there is a heating element driven by that mode.

I did a test by blocking the right half of the bottom vents prior to driving today. 350 miles later and now and outdoor temp of 109 in the shade!!! It helped. The refer didn't heat up as fast.

I am learning

P

Bob&Patty

Pete your right...had a brain fart. But now you know how your car, house fridge and house A/C works. LOL

Manzan

Pete, I replaced the refrigerator in my first trailer and wanted to put in a three way. I was told at the time I would have to re-wire my TV and trailer to get enough 12v juice to the refrigerator. Went with the two way. Is your refer getting enough? I have not recollection other than I would have to put in a 8 gauge wire.