Broken window - losing hope it will get fixed in time

Britsontour

We love our Big Country and are ready for our 4th annual road trip upcoming in less than two weeks. Campgrounds booked, meetings arranged and a conference to go to.....it should be a great trip and like every one, is meticulously planned. I work on the road so it's important I am in the right place at the right time. So, what does that have to do with Exterior Windows and doors?

Our son took the rig away in August to Darien Lake as he does every year with no problem, however on this occasion he had a minor argument with a tree on leaving the site and broke a rear side window. He took the BC to Campkins in Myrtle Station, Ontario on August 17th, told them how important it was that it was fixed by September and left it with them. He was told it should be ready by the first week of Sept. After that he called every few days to be told it would be done on schedule. To cut a long story short, my son then left on vacation and when we called Campkins to check progress found they did not even order the part until August 31st. Several phone calls later we find the window is on back order and will be 'another couple of weeks'. By this time panic is setting in; the dealership is totally unhelpful and each time we call Heartland parts dept are told, 'it should be in soon'.

I am now seriously worried we will not have the BC back in time to prep it for the road trip - don't know if I have to start cancelling important appointments, make alternative arrangements for a colleague to go to the conference. I'm not quite in tearing hair out mode, but it's getting there. Is there anyone out there who could possibly help us - just give some indication of how much longer this will go on for, I would be so grateful.

Heather Bayer

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If it is just the glass that is broken, what about a quick fix until you can get the right part from Heartland installed? You could go to a glass shop and have A piece of safety glass put in the existing opening for the time being, to get you on your way. Then you can fix it properly when you are able to get the part. Just an idea

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Another quick temporary fix I have used in the past is to take a piece of plexiglass, cut it to size and put it in the opening. I used white duck tape to hold it in place. It stayed there for several months of use till a replacement window arrived. If the frame is not tore up that might work. You can get the plexiglass at Home Depot or Lowes.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
when a rock went through the window of my SOB - I just had a Window/class shop cut and install it for me ... worked great and looked just like new. took them a day to do...

Kevin