Adding water after tank has emptied while Boom Docking

caissiel

We were camp for a week in a field while attending a Ballooning festival and a camper came up with a great idea to keep using water while his water tank ran dry. His unit had a direct tankfill connection and he was unable to fill the tank with a funnel.
His solution was to use a 5gal jub and using the antifreeze line to suck water to the water pump, he was able to keep camping while he was using water from the bucket that he keeped full from a remote city water tap accross the road.
It worked so well that I tought I would share it.
Of course I had plenty of water because my equal size unit can hold more water then his SOB unit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Makes sense. I sorta do the same thing at the storage yard in the spring to clear the antifreeze out of the lines. First I air blast the lines via every faucet, then pump in clean water from a 6-gallon jerry can using the winterizing line. Once at the campground, I give the lines a sustained flush with the city water connection.

In a previous thread, some folks were talking about carrying water bladders in their trucks. They could be used the same way.

porthole

Retired
Extras water for boon docking.
I also re-plumbed the trailer and now fill the tanks through a manifold.
To use this water I connect to the winterizing valve and fill the trailer tanks.

Attachments

• water_tank_28_b.jpg
    water_tank_28_b.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 83
  • water_tank_28_a.jpg.JPG
    water_tank_28_a.jpg.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 76

pegmikef

If you camp at West Fork Campground in the National Forest near Pagosa Springs, CO, you better have a full water tank or a five gallon can when you arrive. The only water source doesn't have enough pressure to fill the tank on your rig, but since it is gravity feed it works well filling anything lower than the outlet, so we used the can and funnel method to fill and replenish our tank. I always carry a five gallon water can when boondocking.

Sandpirate69

I know this question may blow the socks off of some of you guys & gals. What is Winterizing? My rig usually doesn't sit longer than 3 months. I'm in South Florida. I guess I took the word "Winterizing" litteraly. Someone, please educate me. I honestly thought it was for those who store their rigs and live where its cold.

Don't laugh at me, laugh with me ;)

Thanks

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I know this question may blow the socks off of some of you guys & gals. What is Winterizing? My rig usually doesn't sit longer than 3 months. I'm in South Florida. I guess I took the word "Winterizing" litteraly. Someone, please educate me. I honestly thought it was for those who store their rigs and live where its cold.

Thanks

Winterizing is something that those of us living and storing in colder climes must do to prevent water from freezing in the plumbing. It involves blowing the water out with air pressure (optional) and then pumping RV antifreeze (pink stuff) in to mix with any residual water and protect the systems. We also make sure the tanks are completely drained and pour some antifreeze into the drains and toilet to prevent freezing at the valves. Water heater is also drained, but no antifreeze pumped in.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired

Thanks

Winterizing is something we do in the winter up north - winter is when all us northerners invade places like Florida until spring.

Kevin ( Snow Bird and Winter Texan - and proud of it )

Duramax1

I use a variation of the method described above for adding water when I am in a dry camping area.

I use the anti freeze line to draw water from a 5 gal container as described above.

But then I connect my exterior shower to my water storage tank and turn on the shower tap. That way I can completely fill my water tank every few days or so.

In my case, my exterior shower is close to the water tank inlet and all I do is simply remove the shower head and insert the hose into the water tank inlet.

If your exterior shower is not close enough all you need to do is go to a hardware store and purchase a connector which will allow you to connect the shower hose to a regular hose and then you have 25 feet of length or whatever to reach your storage tank.

Another tip that makes this process very easy is to purchase a 2 wheel collapsible cart ( Costco sells them) for bringing the water container back to your RV from whereever you obtain your water.

caissiel

This is great, thanks all for the valuable ideas.
I have also used the 20L cooler we carry with us and filled it full of water and drive back to the trailer with it on the tail gate.