Fantastic Vent/Fan

twohappycampers

Hi! Just a question as to where I could find a manual for our Fantastic Vent/Fan (whatever it's called) that's by the door. I'm not sure if I'm not operating it correctly, or if there's something wrong with something.

Maybe I'm not getting where to set the thermostat. In my mind when I set it at a comfortable 70 degrees, say, it should start up automatically when the room temperature reaches higher than 70 degrees, and shut down when the temp is cooled down to below 70 degrees. Am I missing something?

The thermostat red slide thingie works to manually turn the fan on and off and open the vent - the fan is either on or it's off. I think it's supposed to open and shut and turn on and off by itself according to the setting on the termmostat. I also understood that it's supposed to close and turn off when it rains. I don't know how much rain it needs, we haven't had all that much rain lately, but the one rainy period we did have, we ended up closing it ourselves - maybe we were just being impatient? but it was getting pretty wet.

Any help greatly appreciated! BTW, I know this has been addressed before, but I just got more confused reading what others wrote - technically challenged I guess :eek:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I just replied to a similar thread this morning. Our Fantastic Fan was doing the same as yours. I pulled the cover off and noticed a little coil thing had been apparently bumped out of position. I moved it back into place and the thermostat worked! There is a picture on the other thread that shows where to look (yellow arrow)

twohappycampers

I've been trying to follow your suggestions as to the thermostat, etc. on my Fantastic Fan - no luck so far. I don't see anywhere what the model number is, and when I go to the website, I'm not finding one that looks identical to ours. And we were told by the dealer that it would close during rain, and there IS the water symbol on the fan, but nothing else to indicate that it actually closes during rain.

It's hard to put things into words sometimes. Does anyone know the model number of their fan in the Big Country 2011 3450TS? Thanks

PS I took the thermostat cover off and the little coil thing you wrote about seems to be in place.

PPS It's a wall thermostat.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
There should be a silver sticker on the fan motor with the model number for which model installed.

brianharrison

Any moisture (rain) or condensation on the Rain sensor strip (electronic "looking" pad under the roof cover) will prevent the fantastic fan from operating. The wall thermostat is over ridden (if calling for coolling) and nothing will happen.

I have manually opened my cover (with a stool to reach) and gone up on the roof and cleaned/dried the sensor strip. You can also test the rain sensing feature by sprinkling water over the sensor strip.

My model is the 6000 RBTA.

Brian

twohappycampers

I talked to a nice man at our dealer, and he walked me through checking the thermostat. The conclusion: it seems okay I just wasn't understanding how it should work (I believe that!), they never work all that well anyway automatically, they shouldn't even be on a thermostat just an on-off switch. I've been using the thermostat as an on-off switch anyway - the fan is way up on the ceiling. So when I want to bring fresh air in and exhaust air out, I open a window, slide the lever on the thermostat until the fan cover opens and the fan turns on, and when I want to turn it off, I slide the lever again until the cover closes and the fan turns off. Works for me. Not going to worry about it anymore.

As for it closing by itself if it starts to rain, it can take a lot of rain, when they test it they dump a cup of water on it. In most cases the fan blows the rainwater away anyway.

Long-winded, I know! :eek: Maybe it will help someone else trying to figure the darned thing out. As I said, I'm going to consider it good enough, works for me, operate it how I've been operating it since we got it, and that's that for that!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Actually, mine does work well with the thermostat. But, I put a MaxxAir cover over it, so the rain sensor is non-functional. That way, I can have it open during a rain and still get air movement through the windows under the awnings.

On another note, the ceiling fan that folks complain about. They have a winter/summer direction switch. I'm not sure which is which, but I changed mine to rotate clockwise and get a decent breeze from it. Enough to move the vertical blinds in the rear window.

twohappycampers

Actually, mine does work well with the thermostat. But, I put a MaxxAir cover over it, so the rain sensor is non-functional. That way, I can have it open during a rain and still get air movement through the windows under the awnings.

On another note, the ceiling fan that folks complain about. They have a winter/summer direction switch. I'm not sure which is which, but I changed mine to rotate clockwise and get a decent breeze from it. Enough to move the vertical blinds in the rear window.

He also said something about it has to get pretty warm inside for it to operate, and we never let it get that warm - if it gets to anything more than 73 degrees in here despite open windows, the fan, ec. I've got the airconditioning running. And that's not all that often, up here where we live.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
What you discribed is how they are suppose to work. I set the therostat at 75*. When the Horn get that warm inside the lid opens and the fan comes on. When it cool off inside the fans shuts off and the lid closes. The rain sense works great on mine. BTW, the temp lever does shut off the operation of the fan/lid. Push it all the way to the left and you will feel a click....then its off. Thats the way mine works.

twohappycampers

What you discribed is how they are suppose to work. I set the therostat at 75*. When the Horn get that warm inside the lid opens and the fan comes on. When it cool off inside the fans shuts off and the lid closes. The rain sense works great on mine. BTW, the temp lever does shut off the operation of the fan/lid. Push it all the way to the left and you will feel a click....then its off. Thats the way mine works.

YIPPEE!!! Thanks! I now have it straight in my head - my poor old head! I'm working it overtime these days :( I don't get out enough due to health stuff right now, and have all this time to dwell on our new dwelling :D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Exactly. It should open at whatever temperature you set on the thermostat, be it 50-deg. or 90. The thermostat is reading the temperature on the wall it's mounted on, not the ceiling temp. We don't normally run the A/C more than a handfull of days at our site.