Galveston - Port Bolivar

WilmanJim

When we leave Victoria, TX next April we are planning on going up through Jasper, TX then over to Natchez, MS on our way back to Ohio.

My Question is, has anyone taken their RV on the Galveston - Port Bolivar Ferry.
I was thinking of making a side trip through there then catching the SR 287 to the SR 96 to Jasper.
Just trying different routes

Any Info would be Gratefully Appreciated

Jim

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I've never crossed the ferry with my Rv but am told that they will make you turn off the propane before boarding the boat.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have never crossed the ferry with the RV but we know it is done all the time. Our daughter and son-in-law crossed it towing their Trail Runner without issues. They did not have their propane on at the time. Going that route is okay but to us it is a boring trip as there is not much to see once you start traveling up 287/69/96. We have stayed at Port Arthur RV Resort on Hwy 365 is a new park and a good place to stay. http://www.portarthurrv.com/ The Museum Of The Gulf Coast in Port Arthur is very interesting and if you were around when Janis Joplin was popular they have a section about her there too. They have quite a bit about the oil industry, professional sports people from that area and many musicians who are from Port Arthur/Beaumont area. Happy travels.

mikeandconnie

I have seen many fifth wheels, Simi Trucks and larger Trailers on the Galveston Ferry. I'm taking my Landmark down in a few months and will take the Ferry over to the island. I'm not sure of the rules for RV's, but I will check next week when I ride the ferry and post here. Avoid! holidays, and weekend traffic hours. It's better going throu Houston on Holidays or you may have to wait hours to cross. Here the telophone # 409)795-2230.

WilmanJim

Thanks for the info Jim, We'll have to look into that.

Thanks Mike, Safe Travels with that Landmark. We have been through Houston quite a few times. I go right through on I-10 and I love that they mark the lane you need to be in on the road. Sure makes it easier.

rick_debbie_gallant

we took the natchez trace two years ago when we returned to Michigan. Nice traveling. Not much traffic. zero semi's.
We traveled straight from rockport texas to new orleans as straight as possible. Crossed on the Ferry you are talking about. Traveled for ever on an island and found hundreds of lightings, welks and the like on the beach, all dried out of course. Nice trip. DW and I will be taking the Trace south this fall. should be great with the leaves changing