Brand Manager Challenge

brianharrison

So - Bryan (Brand Manager) over in the Big Country Forum has been throwing down the gauntlet for BC as the best Heartland 5th on the market today. LINK

We will give you every reason to buy a current model. Something NO one has discussed is the price protections Thor has provided to Heartland. Smaller RV manufacturers are enduring extraordinary price increases for all raw good (metal, foam, fabric, wood, etc). Heartland has gone through some vendor increases, but not to the same extent of other smaller manufacturers.

Lets not lose focus on what are still the best 5th wheels made - Big Country.

No other Heartland 5th wheel offers the wireless remote control system (slides, hydraulic front jacks, and awning). No other Heartland 5th wheel has the GOLD edition with full body graphics and painted front and rear caps. No other Heartland 5th wheel has a true sidewall matching TPO roof.

I could go on for HOURS talking about why Big Country is the best value now.

If you ever want to discuss feel free to call me directly - direct phone line: 574-266-3779. I CARE that you get the best 5th wheel (of course Big Country).

Now I like a little competition - how about a Landmark "coupe de gras" from Kary or other owners? So I will post this thread in the "Landmark - Design Ideas" forum.

My choice for the Landmark over other Heartland models or lines:
  • full body paint
  • Yeti package (insulated/traced water line, heater pads on tanks, foil insulation in caps)
  • laminated roof (available on BH as well)
  • G rated tires
  • 100 gal fresh water tank, 40 lb propane tanks,
  • standard keyless entry, electric power cord reel,
  • China toilet (not sure why this is important though as compared to porcelain :))
  • Personal preferences over finish touches vs other Heartland lines (I like bling).
Seems to me, BC is raising the stakes with remotes, TPO roof, full body graphics.

Challenge?

Any others wish to chime in? Healthy debate?

Game on.

Brian

ihsolutions

I have been happily participating in those BC threads. I have a 2011 BH now, but am considering a new BC. They are gorgeous and have options like the remote and gold color that really set them apart.

I just take it as Bryan doing his job. Really well, if I do say so. After all, if the brand manager doesn't show excitement, why should the customer? They are making a great product, and their pride is justified.

I do like (ok, love) the Landmarks as well but the price difference is enormous. If money were no object I would have purchased one already.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bighorn is a nice happy medium. As I stated in an earlier thread I started about this same subject, I have not found a Landmark or BC, I like BETTER than our BH.
I spent several days looking through about 20 Landmarks, Bighorns and Big Countrys while my rig was being repaired. Aside from the full body paint, which I do like on the Landmark, I'll stay with our Bighorn.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
How about the Landmark that lets you watch TV in your recliner without having to move ANYTHING! With this option the KeyLargo is the only one in this running. And it is not a Big Country or a Big Horn.

brianharrison

Good thoughts.

I agree with the comment about Bryan working his job well and promoting the BC. A little internal competition between Brand Managers, or particular business lines (Landmark/Bighorn vs BC/Elkridge/Prowler).

I have been following the 2012 Landmark Design Ideas thread (Link). I think a lot of the "Why Landmark" and what sets it apart from other Heartland units and what is it that consumers (us) are looking for in a Landmark have been well discussed.

I was hoping this may spur some conversation to discuss where the Landmark line may be headed - Are we going to see a blending of Landmark/Bighorn/BC lines where they are all prety well the same unit? Maybe I should have posted this in the Landmark - ATF?

I dunno. Marketing has mostly always proven product distinction is the best way to ensure profitability. Landmark distinction? What is it? Is it being lost? Maybe I'll change the title of the Post to Brand Manager Challenge - Landmark Distinction?

Thoughts?

Brian

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
IMHO the distinction between the various 'brands' i.e. Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country is becoming so gray (no pun intended) why would you spend the extra money for a Landmark when you can get all the same bells and whistles in the Big Country. If the intention of Heartland is to downsize the Landmark and Big Horn then why not just discontinue making them and go with the all dolled up Big Country. When we bought our Landmark there was an obvious distinction between the three such as if you wanted hydraulic landing gear then you had to get the Landmark. Really if you are offering all of the same options on the BH and BC then what's the difference except in price. After all if you have a Ford with all of the options available on the Lincoln why buy the Lincoln?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Dueling brand managers. I love it! 5'ers at 20 paces, turn and hitch. Best rig out there is my 2009 BH3670. Why? Cuz it's mine and everything works. And it's the best floorplan out there, to boot:p.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There no dual there as the other brand managers are not promoting theirs like Bryan is. Guess they are sitting on the past reputations. That means they will fall further and further behind until they do not exist.

caissiel

We love our BC because it was our choice over many units,
I can tow it with my TV with absolutly no difficullty.
Its well balanced for our needs.
I build it to our needs, and will keep it forever,
That is if the structure will last as long as the last RV.

brianharrison

IMHO the distinction between the various 'brands' i.e. Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country is becoming so gray (no pun intended) why would you spend the extra money for a Landmark when you can get all the same bells and whistles in the Big Country. If the intention of Heartland is to downsize the Landmark and Big Horn then why not just discontinue making them and go with the all dolled up Big Country. When we bought our Landmark there was an obvious distinction between the three such as if you wanted hydraulic landing gear then you had to get the Landmark. Really if you are offering all of the same options on the BH and BC then what's the difference except in price. After all if you have a Ford with all of the options available on the Lincoln why buy the Lincoln?

Exactly! Well stated.

Brian

PS: If Lincoln made a one ton diesel truck, I would look at it..... :D But I would want the cummins.....

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
When Michael was doing the research for our 5vr with all the options we wanted/needed to add to a BH it brought the price up to within about $5000 of our Landmark. For that amount we chose to go with the Landmark. AND....we got an extraordinary price on our Key Largo due to Michael's research and diligence!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
How about the Landmark that lets you watch TV in your recliner without having to move ANYTHING! With this option the KeyLargo is the only one in this running. And it is not a Big Country or a Big Horn.[/QUOTe

For us, we like the overall layout and features of the BH 3670RL better. :) Trace ( aka, the thread killer)

Last edited: