Re: Rubber molding/trim

JIM-GERI

Hi Bryan, My 2011 Big Country 3450TS molding that covers the screw heads(Gray in color) have come apart along the roof and side area of my unit. Needs to be replaced they're not repairable. What can i do? Thanks Jim HOC#1690 NY

jimtoo

Hi Jim,

The original thread you replied to was over 2years old and you would probably not get an answer there, so I moved the post and started your own thread in the ATF area. You need to have your VIN last 8 numbers handy and hopefully someone will be getting back to you soon. If possible you might post some pictures.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

rvn4fun

All our molding has fallen off now, we started talking to Heartland and our dealer, some satisfaction, but mostly run around. Finally we went to Ebay and bought some silver molding. We really like the silver color over the light gray. Takes about 200 feet to do all of the rv. Not that hard to install. Still think Heartland should recall and do all the 2011 Big Countries.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

This is my 4th Rv with that same plastic push-in trim.
All or part of it, has fallen out of every rig I have ever had. Currently the two vertical strips under the overhang of the bdrm in the front of the BH are off. It seems to happen when the weather is warm.
It would be nice if RV mfgrs could come up with a better design to cover these screw strips IMHO

Last edited:

archbarb

The trim insert at the roof line on the door side of our unit seperated and split also. I took pictures and sent them with an email with Vin# to Heartland Customer Service and they sent me the replacement trim piece. Very easy to install!!!!!

Archie

JIM-GERI

THANKS JIM for help on this and putting it in the right post. Thanks again Jim R:)
Hi Jim,

The original thread you replied to was over 2years old and you would probably not get an answer there, so I moved the post and started your own thread in the ATF area. You need to have your VIN last 8 numbers handy and hopefully someone will be getting back to you soon. If possible you might post some pictures.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

I noticed our insert vinyl is doing a quick death this second season. It is hard as a rock and splitting!

pegmikef

When they replaced my roof I asked about the molding because some was missing. The tech told me he always replaced all of the vinyl/rubber inserts on new rooves because it was cheaper than the labor it would take to clean the old stuff. It gave me an impression that the stuff probably comes on a roll or something and is stocked by the repair shops.

mgdg

I called the dealer I purchased from and they called Heartland who called Me and sent 2 -100ft rolls of grey vinyl mouldings. Thx Eric at Heartland for suppling the moulding free of charge even if the 1yr. warranty was past. He told Me they got a batch from the supplier with no UV protectant mixed and have been having a problem with the product that was used. Fast service and no other problems after a 5000 mi/8000km trip to the US and Canadian east coast this summer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

The molding insert material I buy is about 3 times as thick as the OEM. Been replacing mine little by little, but have only seen it in white....not grey.

SJH

What size is the insert vinyl? I noticed while looking online it comes in several widths (1/2, 3/4, 1"). Found lots of colors except gray!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Steve, mine is the 1". Yours might be different but I doubt it. Measure across the molding itself. Should measure 1". When you replace it make sure the insert is warm. Its hard to squeeze when cold. Just lay it out in the sun for awhile. Like I said before, the insert I bought (in white) was 3 times thicker than the OEM.

SJH

Steve, mine is the 1". Yours might be different but I doubt it. Measure across the molding itself. Should measure 1". When you replace it make sure the insert is warm. Its hard to squeeze when cold. Just lay it out in the sun for awhile. Like I said before, the insert I bought (in white) was 3 times thicker than the OEM.

Thanks...I will double check it when I have a chance but the 1" seems to be the most common! SUN?? What is that? :eek:

At the bottom of THIS page are some paintable plastic caps called "Full Extension End Caps" from JR Products. I am wondering if they would work for the trim strips on our rigs rather than trying to do the "nip & tuck" treatment.

I called the dealer I purchased from and they called Heartland who called Me and sent 2 -100ft rolls of grey vinyl mouldings. Thx Eric at Heartland for suppling the moulding free of charge even if the 1yr. warranty was past. He told Me they got a batch from the supplier with no UV protectant mixed and have been having a problem with the product that was used. Fast service and no other problems after a 5000 mi/8000km trip to the US and Canadian east coast this summer.

consistant answers would be nice. i contacted dealer for my splitting molding and i had to buy 70.00 worth of grey molding to replace mine. was not a happy camper since it is a 2011 model. but to beat it all 3 months after replacing the strips i have 2 places that are splitting again. must be the grey color. it would be nice to hear viable reason from somebody at factory. dealers have no clue.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

consistant answers would be nice. i contacted dealer for my splitting molding and i had to buy 70.00 worth of grey molding to replace mine. was not a happy camper since it is a 2011 model. but to beat it all 3 months after replacing the strips i have 2 places that are splitting again. must be the grey color. it would be nice to hear viable reason from somebody at factory. dealers have no clue.

Yes you are correct. They should all be somewhat consistant.
IMHO, You should call HL direct, not the dealer. Trace

Last edited:

GOTTOYS

I'm sure Heartland doesn't make the stuff they just buy it like all the other manufacturers do. Sounds to me like your dealer is putting the bite on you for something that might be covered. I've bought several rolls of this stuff in the past and never paid anywhere near that much for it. I'd call Heartland Customer Service and eliminate the dealer markup. Quite possible they would send it out no charge. They might surprise you...Don