MPG Gas Mileage

mtran868

I have a 180 MPG. I tow it with a 6 cylinder 2008 Toyota Highlander. Any ideas how much it costs me in gas mileage to tow my rig? I usually get around 21 mpg without towing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mtran868, welcome to the forum. I moved your post out of ATF and into General Discussions. You should get some better replies from users.

Peace
Dave

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mtran, fuel mileage is a subjective thing. What you will get is not what someone else will get with the same setup. It depends your driving habits, where you live, and what speeds you will tow at, how much weight you will be pulling, etc etc. No one can guaranty you a fuel mileage....only an estimate. I get between 18-19 MPG not towing and somewhere between 10-12 MPG towing. My rig weighs in at 22K loaded for camping. Someone with the identical setup might post on here as to what they average.

Tumblebug

My 2009 GMC 1500 Crew Serria, 4x4, 5.3 liter, 6 speed auto, gets 19mpg with out the MPG 183 and 12-14 with the trailer. Less gas with less speed. I usually tow about 60-65 get around 14 at that speed. Trailer is not loaded heavy, 3200 lbs.

Last edited:

marc515

Since you indicated "I tow it" with your vehicle, did you track the mileage while towing? Or are you indicating you just got the 180, and havent towed yet.

I have a 181, and get about 12MPG while towing on relatively flat ground, and this summer we got 10.5 towing through the NY and VT mountains.

BobHebee

We just came back from a 9,000 mile cross-country trip towing our new MPG 185 with our 2wd F150. Mileage towing was 12 - 13 and about 11mpg over the Rockies. I usually get 19 or 20 when not towing.

jssr

I tow a 183 with a 2010 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 4.0, V6 and get about 12 mpg at 60. That is in Florida...I'll let you know how we do on our upcoming trip to Asheville, NC.

ptarthur2

I started out towing my MPG 183 with a Hyundai Santa Fe equipped with a 276hp 3.5 L V6 which has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. It towed the trailer fine at 55-60 mph and gas mileage between 11 and 13 mpg but I didn't feel comfortable with the strain the engine and trasmission was under going up hills so I traded it in on a Ford F-150 with the new V-6 Eco-Boost engine with 365 hp. I was a little dissapointed to discover that I averaged only 10.5 mpg on an 1100 mile round trip to the Gulf Coast but when not towing, I am getting between 22 and 25 MPG with is about the same as the Santa Fe. I do feel a lot more confident about taking my MPG camper on long trips in the mountains and I can certainly carry a lot more stuff with the new Ford F-150 which has a towing capacity of 9,800 lbs. (Not bad at all for a V-6.)

jrford

I have a 186T, towed with a 2010 Ford Sport Trac V8 4x4; 292hp, 315lbs. All city, stop and go for 15 miles Avg. was 13mpg round trip. No problem keeping up with traffic.

FoxHunt

I can't tell you what we get towing, but I will post again after this weekend when we take our 183 out on her maiden voyage!

I would like to point out a few things regarding fuel mileage that apply to towing and regular driving...
-Always maintain proper air pressure in your tires! Under inflated tires can drastically reduce fuel mileage and more importantly, handling. They also cause excessive tire wear and are prone to overheating and blowout. There is no good reason not to check all of your tires on a regular basis and especially before heading out on a trip. It takes 10 minutes max. A handy tip, take all of your valve stems off and check the tire pressures before inserting coins into the maching (if you don't have one at home). It will save time and money in the long run!
-Check your air filter! Better yet, go to your local parts store and pick up a new, high-flow air filter that you can service yourself. If you do, you will see a noticable increase in fuel mileage and you may also "feel" a little extra umph as air flow naturally increases horsepower. If you buy a lifetime filter, don't throw away your old paper filter! You will need it when you service your air filter later down the road. It needs to air dry, and you will need to stick something in its place while your air filter is laying in the garage drying.
-Watch your speed! Traveling over 60mph while towing or otherwise steadily decreases mileage with each MPH over. I tow at 60mph for several reasons, including fuel mileage. Other reasons include safety, decreased "oh crap" feeling if/when you experience sway from strong winds or passing rigs, and the other important reason... wait for it... I'M GOING CAMPING! RELAX! Get there in one piece and enjoy the ride/scenery! Driving a constant speed also dramatically reduces the number of lane changes and passing of cars on the highway. This makes for a less-stressful trip and a safer one. I am not condeming anyone for driving 65 or 70 while towing. I simply don't do it for the reasons stated above. I am a former truck driver (hualing waaay too much weight in coal out of the mountains of Maryland and WV). Speed is your enemy when things get bad and 60 is a comfortable speed for our setup.

-Notice the position of the throttle. Have you ever accelerated and edged off the pedal a bit just to realize that you're still accelerating at the same rate with less pedal? Often times towing, there is no advantage to giving it all she's got... or getting close to it for that matter. Less throttle conserves fuel and will often give you the same or comparable performance.

These are just tips... not meant to fit everyone's driving style or ability... just throwing them out there.

Be safe!

Foxhunt

TXSWICK

Our 2004 toyota 4Runner - 6 cylinder pulled the 185 at appx 11-12 MPG We have since moved to a 2007 GMC 4 x 4 - 8 cylinder

kb0zke

We get 10-12 towing our 181 with the Mountaineer. Without the trailer the Mountaineer gets 17-20.

Skyhwk

I just got back from the Outerbanks of North Carolina I got 10 to 12 on this trip have been coast to coast last month and this month same MPG and TV.
I just made a 4400 mile round trip from the bootheel Of Missouri to central Washigton State and got between 10 and 11 miles per gal with my 11 MPG, my regular rate is between 17 and 18 miles per gal with a 2011 F150 5.0l V8 with it in tow haul mode running between 60 to 65 MPH

Last edited:

crennpage

I've been getting around 11-12 mpg towing our MPG with a Ford Expedition with the V8 5.4 liter engine (I get about 18 mpg when not towing). I've only used it so far in 200 mile (or less) round trip camping excursions and I tend to keep it about 70 mph when towing. After reading FoxHunt's last post, I think I'll back it off a bit next time and just enjoy the trip (and get better gas milage in the process).

Craig

Nogyro

I'm getting around 12 pulling our MPG 180 with my 2010 Ford F150 with the 5.4 engine. Seems about right as I get the same with my 6x12 enclosed trailer. Normally drive at 60 mph.

bayhawk2

My F-150 with the 4.6 liter V-8 gets 18-19 on the hwy. and 10-11 when towing my MPG.
I pull it between 60-70 depending on conditions.65 is a common speed.2300 RPM's
is common.So far the least I've gotten is 9.8 MPG.with the best at 11.6.I'll take it.

Tumblebug

My 2009 GMC 4x4 supercab gets 19 mpg without trailer and 12 mpg towing the 2011 183 MPG. I usually tow at the speed limit.

RAZORBILL

Looks like 10-12 mpg is the going rate regardless of what you tow with. That's what I get with our 2011 Nissan Frontier (4.0l/V6) also.

jearnest

We averaged 14 pulling MPG180 (not loaded) from Bosie, ID to California, usually get 18 - 20 (2003 Ford Explorer) without trailer. Last trip out to Joshua Tree Park, we averaged 13 - 14 with light load in MPG.

Rick.

Just returned from a 3000 mile trip to Alberta, gas mileage varied from 8 mpg on the prairies to 12 mpg in the great lakes area. Go figure. Really thought it would be the other way around. Towing a 181 mpg with a hemi magnum.