Innovation? Or is this how a Gooseneck REALLY works???

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
This was too good not to share!!

How would you like to meet this rig on a two lane road, coming down the mountain in your direction?
Check out the hills in the background. The power steering works real good now.

image001.jpg

She's hitched up and ready to roll! It's amazing how the extra weight smoothes out the ride.
Needed to air up the rear tires a bit (about 160 psi).

image002.jpg
Added some super heavy duty chain for extra support on the tailgate. Note the Heavy Duty 'S' hooks attached to the chain. Also got for some big number 5/16 sheet metal screws to attach the Reese hitch frame to the tailgate. See them there? One on each side! It's likely that two more are through the carpet into the floor pan inside. 
Yes, it's probably overkill, but we didn't want the possibility of having an "axerdent".

image003.jpg
Most of the time was spent on the front porch whittling out that solid pine 4x4 to fit precisely down into the hole in the ball mount receiver. Notice also the 14" x 14" piece of 3/8" plywood on the underside of the tailgate to distribute the load more evenly and beef up that tailgate support. A guy cannot be too safe!

The SCARY part of this "humor" is that this guy IS OUT THERE!!!!! And, he probably VOTES!!!!!:eek:

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
oh my! :eek: I hope to never come across this guy in our travels...scary stuff in my opinion!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
He's got a Utah plate. I didn't think they allowed banjo music out there. If he and Ma dine heavily at Mickey Dee's, they probably provide the front end counter weight for the rig.

ihsolutions

Look how close the front cap is to the back of the truck. Even a slight turn would cause a collision. This is hilarious, and seems like someone's idea of a joke rather than a practical application...

jimtoo

This is a real story I personally know that it happened.
My Son’s FIL had his 38’ SOB 5er in the shop. Received call that it was ready to go. His 1 ton Dually was in shop also, different town. So FIL calls his son to go and pick it up for him. Son takes old ranch ½ ton to shop where 1 ton is, takes hitch out of bed and sets in the ½ ton, NO anchors or anything. Goes to feed store and buys feed that they need anyway. About 20 100# bags and stacks around the hitch setting in bed of truck. Drives to dealer, hooks onto the 5er… no lights or brake wiring. The DEALER LET HIM DRIVE OFF THIS WAY. He drove about 60 miles like this without any problem. He said he only drove 35-40 mph. The ½ ton was overloaded with just the feed, and then add about 2000# hitch weight. He did make it home OK. He has done several stupid things like that before. Like chaining the front bumper of a pickup to the back bumper of another pickup and actually pulling it about 12 miles into town to shop because it would not run. He did not have anyone in the towed pickup, he was by himself.

Jim M

lduguay

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Look how close the front cap is to the back of the truck. Even a slight turn would cause a collision. This is hilarious, and seems like someone's idea of a joke rather than a practical application...

Hmmmmm, maybe this an early prototype of the Titanium series?????:p

jimtoo

Wow. That's crazy!

And Jim, I'm amazed your son's FIL didn't use duct tape in the mix.

He's not that smart! With the duct tape he could have taped the hitch to the pin of the trailer and removed a lot of weight out of the bed of the truck or just put a few sacks of feed on the hitch to get it out of the bed of truck. That would have made his load lighter.

Moose

They blacked out most of the plate but I think it read . . . .

"Utah . . . . . where you can't legislate intelligence"

mmomega

AnyTimer
I'm surprised he doesn't have another chevy small block chained and hanging off the front to even it out. Well I'm sure there's no need as long as the front wheels are at least touching the ground.

BUT... it also points out something, there are lots of people out there that buy a truck then get a HUGE 5th wheel and overload it but they keep going because "I've pulled like this for years and I'm just fine!"

mmomega

AnyTimer
Found this golden advise on another RV forum.

norvyet wrote:
x.gif

... Also, if there is any way to beef up my truck to legally and safely tow heavier, please feel free to mention that as well....

Legally isn't a problem, since tow ratings are manufacturers recomendations. There is no violation of law towing overloaded.

I don't have a lot of confidence in tow ratings. IMHO, they are a recommendation and should be used accordingly. Many of their recommendations change with different engines or transmissions, that have nothing to do with the towing capacity of the rest of the truck.

Yeah towing capacity has nothing to do with the frame, axles, brakes or tires just the engine and transmission. So if its possible to tow it, you're good to go.:cool:

Another gem.
I think the truck's towing capacity weight is based on the tounge/pinbox weight.