dometic rm 1350 side by side

wolfrat1

has anyone had multiple issues with this unit? i bought my big horn 3610re in august of this year and this will be the third refrig i had to replace. i cut my rving short because of this. i complained to dometic and even though they are replacing it, their bragging rights are that they have the best warranty in the business. if they have to replace three units inside of two months, they better have good warranty. with the amount of complains i'm seeing in the different forums, heartland should get the hint and found a different company to go with.

i'm really concerned about how this replacement is going to work. my dealer is installing it at his shop. he has bent over backwards to help my wife and i. the first unit didn't work during the dealer prep. the second unit failed at the campground (dometic tried saying the seals were bad). it never got below 50 degrees. the service tech that came out was going to replace it at the campground, but didn't want to take the chance of that breaking down.

i know this is long and drawn out, but i'm burnt out with dometic. i had an old 2003 rv that a dometic refrig went out on. although it was replaced under warranty (again), enough is enough. heartland sticks with dometic and dometic keeps replacing units. i really worried about taking a long trip.

i'm sorry but i had to vent.:mad:

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am wondering if most of the problems we are getting is due to them being in slides. As far as I see it, they need to have a model that is for use in a slide out with more fans?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
No problem with you venting here. You are not alone with your particular problem unfortunately Dometic has not been as good to others out there as they are being with you. I hope you get your issue resolved this time.

Birchwood

No wonder some of the nice motor homes are using electric only.I also feel a fridge
needs to operate constantly like the ones in our homes.We have had our fridge
on for 2 years .Problems seem to occur when operation of devices are turned
off for long periods.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
There is a novel sized info package on this forum about the 1350.

Mine is working fine now, (knock on wood) after a fix that I mentioned in that novel.

Check it out.//heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php/530-Refrigerators

I will post some pictures of what I have installed to help correct some venting issues
Rich
(I guess I have to have more posts to be able to attach a file)

My name is Rich,I am a RV Tech, and when I do the yearly inspections on Dometic refrigerators,one of the inspection criteria is whether the unit is properly vented.I haveseen many not vented properly ( according to the latest instructions from Dometic) and it seems to be a issue industry wide.
Anyway the two pictures are a before and after picture
With the 2 fans wired parallel to the factory fans,and the 3 amp fuse replaced with a 5 amp fuse, AND the baffles correctly placed,the refrigerator holds temps in the mid 30s,with the sun beating down on the refrigerator side of the trailer,with ambient temps in the mid 90s
hope this helpsdometic vent fix.jpgdometic vent.jpg

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
I AGREE. I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY DOMETIC IS REPLACING THE SAME UNIT OVER AND OVER AGAIN. DON'T MAKE ANY SENSE UNLESS YOU DO THESE MODIFICATIONS YOU MENTIONED. I feel your pain. Welcome to the club. There are several solutions, a new dometic is not the solution, nor is a norcold. Add 2 6"computer fans and run them 24 hours a day, get the baffles added until you get them right. Turn your unit off, then back on at 6pm to get it set to cycle on/off at the right time of day. If you get a power failure, reset the fridge at 6pm again and forever. Add insulation on top of the fridge if none is there. Good luck.

wolfrat1

forgive my rv ignorance. i don't understand the adding fans and baffles. i trust that this would fix the problems. but isn't this something that should be worked out between heartland and dometic (i even hate typing that name right now)? is appears that each is trying to blame the other. but either way it goes, these units aren't working and it's going to start costing both companies sales. customers really are not aware there is a problem until they buy the rv. it's rather an expensive way to find out.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Read on this forum, tons of info on the fans and baffles. Replacing your dometic fridge with the same one, will not fix the problem. Doing some tweaking will most of the time solve the issue. As to the blame, who cares, i want a fridge that will work.