Newbie to RV'ing & Firearms

Joebethlamb

I own an AR15 rifle and would like to carry it with me when traveling. Are there any suggestions out there on how to make sure I am be lawful. Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jose

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
A lot of info on this subject. Look here; //heartlandowners.org/forumdisplay.php/491-Firearms-and-RVing

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What do you plan to do with the AR-15? If it's for personal defense in the RV, I'd look for something else. If you like to target shoot with it, then that's another story.

Sandpirate69

I don't understand why you would carry an AR, but that's your choice. If you carry it for protection, I would suggest you re-evaluate that idea. I don't want to be the RV next to you when you pull the trigger. If it's a .223 or 5.56 Mil. the over penetration is far too great and the danger of injuring someone else is high. You may want to switch to a pistol grip 12g shotgun instead. Yes, you will have to patch up 8 extra holes if you use 00 Buck, but at least you won't shoot through 5 extra RV's. Also, some states are a bit tough on what they consider an assault rifle. Remebe,r there's Self Defense and Culpable Negligence.

Not telling you what you should carry, but showing you the options and possible consequences. 15 yrs of Law Enforcement and counting.

Joebethlamb

What do you plan to do with the AR-15? If it's for personal defense in the RV, I'd look for something else. If you like to target shoot with it, then that's another story.

I do like to target shoot but will certainly reconsider my options for personal protection.

Joebethlamb

Thank you for enlightening me in regards to this matter. I will definitely reconsider myoptions for personal protection. On second thought maybe even a big can of bear pepper spray will work. I do enjoy target shooting with the ar15 but only when it is safe to do so.

Thank you for the information.

olcoon

The advise you were given is right on the money. For whatever you decide to get you might check on the NRA's website for Federal & State laws. Also if you aren't already a member, I'd suggest you or any one else who owns a gun, and beleives in the 2nd Ammendment to join. The NRA is, if not the only, it is the biggest organazation fighting for the rights of us hunters & gun owners. One thing about a shotgun is that you would be able to transport it into Canada, as long as the proper paperwork is filled out & (from what I understand), it's for "hunting" purposes. Also, again from what I understand, pepper spray, isn't allowed across the border unless it's bear spray, & I've heard sometimes people have gotten a hassle over that. But wasp spray does about the same thing, and I haven't heard of anyone having problems with that.

JohnDar

The other question that comes to mind on the AR-15 is which style is it? The full size carbine, or the short barrel, collapsible stock one? I have the latter and even it's a bit large for the close quarters of an RV. Having it lying next to the bed would result in me stepping on it. Just the movement to get to it would take too long and present too much of a target. With the 3670 floorplan I have, a handgun sits nicely on the shelf under the wardrobe cabinet on my side of the bed, easily retrieved and at the ready.

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
I have several choices in the safe here at the house that I draw from when we go. But, I always take the Taurus Judge. The over penetration has always been a concern for me in a RV park. I do bring others and one of my other top choices is a double barrel 20ga stagecoach gun. Short barrel on it and my others are hunting guns and just too long to be of any use in tight quarters. JMHO

Manzan

When I was in basic training we used an AR 14 (?) This was in '63. 7.62mm Nato round. They used it in 'Nam in close quarters and the muzzle velocity was so high that the bullet went clear through and the person hit barely knew it. No stopping power. Those who could find an old 45 carried one. Low muzzle velocity, big chunk of lead and it would knock down whatever it hit. Not a lot of chance for 'collateral damage'.

JohnDar

When I was in basic training we used an AR 14 (?) This was in '63. 7.62mm Nato round. They used it in 'Nam in close quarters and the muzzle velocity was so high that the bullet went clear through and the person hit barely knew it. No stopping power. Those who could find an old 45 carried one. Low muzzle velocity, big chunk of lead and it would knock down whatever it hit. Not a lot of chance for 'collateral damage'.

I believe that was an M-14 rifle that fired the 7.62 mm (.308) round. It was replaced by the M-16 (AR-15) with the 5.56 mm round. M-16 has a muzzle velocity of 3280 fps.

porthole

Retired
You may want to switch to a pistol grip 12g shotgun instead.

Really check the laws if traveling through Jersey or New York.

And just a tidbit, in New Jersey, an auto-loading shotgun with a pistol grip is an assault weapon (as wells as a Colt AR-15), any weapon with a folding stock, any magazine that holds more then 15 rounds, and combination of certain accessories, like a pistol grip and a flash suppressor or bayonet lugs etc.

Even if you don't own a firearm, in New Jersey you will go to jail for possession of a folding stock (no gun needed) or over 15 round magazines.

TXTiger

In California you can own an AR-15 but it can not have a mag over 10 rounds. The mag also can not be detachable (a push button using the thumb) it must be a recessed button requiring a tool to release. Very stupid, semi detachable mag, what a joke.

JohnDar

There are just several states that I will not travel to in any fashion or for any reason. Call them "free fire zones" for criminals.

porthole

Retired
In California you can own an AR-15 but it can not have a mag over 10 rounds. The mag also can not be detachable (a push button using the thumb) it must be a recessed button requiring a tool to release. Very stupid, semi detachable mag, what a joke.

Does the .223 "Tool" work?