Owner and factory attention needed. Scott please note.

Pulltab

We picked up or Bighorn last Friday and have been fighting a leak on the shower side of the coach. Here are the findings and the factory should take action on this to prevent warranty claims in the future.

If you do not check to see if your shower leaks you should! I have never owned an RV that upon inspection did not leak. On our Bighorn 2925 in the shower there is a large access port below the faucet. The flange of this port is NOT gasketed or sealed in any manner, the facuet itself has no seal or gasket. There is a black thin plate that snaps to the faucet but does not seal it. Also on top of the faucet where the hose comes out is another place for water to penetrate. This is possibly a rare occurance but not in our case and probably not in others. Regardless of the circumstances a shower should not leak. My wife when she showers often will shave her legs and lets the shower head hang from the guide ring for the hose, well in this case it was spraying right at the facuet. Outside in the basement it was leaking like a water hose was turned on. I pulled the facuet off and sure enough behind on the back of the shower wall the water had seeped ...on ran thru the unsealed flange of the faucet and access plate. The back of the faucet is hollow and the little black plate does nothing more than create a dam behind it till the water overflows thru one or all of the holes in the back of it. Now hopefully for everyone else this was just forgot on my coach but let me tell you that water left to leak onto the floor will create you some real headaches in the future. This could easily be stopped by the factory by sealing. Please check yours.

This is not a ***** about the quality as much as it is a heads up for you. I expect this kind of stuff and that is why I always look for it. I got burnt by MONACO on our class a DP because of a hidden water leak. They seldom show the damage till they are out of warranty. I don't want this to happen to my fellow rv'ers and is a suggestion for the factory to take action to protect themselves.

We are very pleased with the RV and I have been able to correct all the things I have found but have little to no choice as we live fulltime in ours and cannot leave at a dealer for days on end.

Last edited:

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Pulltab, what is the best way to seal the access port and around the faucets? Thanks. Tom W

HappyKayakers

I used silicone sealant around mine. Do a search for 'shower leaks' and you should find a few posts. I also replaced the faucet hardware with something a little more substantial from Home Depot.

Pulltab

I also used silicone, I think silicone rubber sealant II it has a 7 rating out of 10 on the label for adhesive ability. I checked this afternoon and this seems to have stopped the leak. Replacement of the shower faucet like Happy Kayakers is a good suggestion and we will eventually do that. Most household faucets are the same dimensions.

tdharley

I used liquid teflon on mine. It does not harden and comes off easily

I had the same problem with my last rig.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Has anyone tried putting a thin layer of plummers putty behind the faucet fixture?---- Ken

Scott

Sorry, Coley is out of town, and this is a forum that he usually answers before I do. I actually sent you post to our inspection team and I know that we are double checking to make sure that the shower/faucet/drains, etc. are sealed properly so this won't happen in the future. It is something that is supposed to be done. Obviously we missed it on your but Pat Fager, our Director of QC has assured me that he is on it with the production guys and inspectors.
Thanks.
ST

Pulltab

Thanks Scott for the reply. I am glad it is being checked into. That is what makes a manufacturer popular is repsonse.