Sealants

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Seems like I am always on a quest for the best sealant to use on our Big Country. The search is further hindered by the preference for a gray colored sealant. Heartland uses Sikaflex 505UV and/or 521. The Sika products are not readily available. Even a phone call this morning to Heartland had Parts people scrambling to find the correct product. White was available for $15 a tube. Mind you, the price is not as big of an issue as trying to find a good product.

Heartland did say any good quality sealant should be fine. They recommend a polyurethane based sealant even though the 505UV is a one component silane terminated polymer (STP).

I found another product which is readily available, comes in gray, and is about $6.00 for a tube. It is a polyether which supposedly is a hybrid polyurethane. Made by ChemLink, it is called M1. Has anyone ever used this brand of sealant?

What is your preferred sealant of choice? I have used Dicor and Pro-Flex but really don't like the finish they leave preferring the finish and texture of what comes on the Big Country.

Thank you for humoring this old man who, according to his lovely wife, makes things more complicated than need be.

Best Wishes!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I like the Dicor as far as a self leveling (roof) sealant. If you put it on and leave it alone, it settles down to a decent finish.
I tried Alpha once and made the mistake of trying to smooth it. It is quite a bit heavier in texture and became a sticky mess. Also, I don't like it because it seems to remain sticky for a long time. Like that old Army green oil based paint that never dries.

archbarb

I read somewhere on here a few weeks ago that a brand produced by OSI Quad, which is sold at the big box stores makes a good sealant product for RV's. Not sure if its so, haven't really read whats in the compound formula. They do make a grey color. Its also about 5.00 to 6.00 dollars a tube!!!!!

Archie

SJH

Thanks Archie! OSI has a great web site. The Quad series is an elastomeric polymer based sealant with synthetic resins. The technical data sheet says it produces a rubbery seal with a sheen much like silicone. It comes in a plethora of colors! Not wild about the shiny finish as none of the sealant on our BC has that type of finish. It does look like I can find it locally rather than mail order.

SJH

Found another possible candidate in the sealant quest...Tremco 626. Comes in gray and it is designed for use in many applications, including lap joints and seams on trucks, containers, mobile homes, recreational vehicles, rail cars, etc