I POD help

Bobby A

I guess this is where this thread goes.

The wife wants an I POD (which I know nothing about ) at first she wanted one with a base/docking station with speakers. I started thinking about this white box that came with our Samsung entertainment system in the rig. Can anyone tell me if this is a I POD docking station to hook up to the Samsung DVD player to allow her to play her I POD (when she gets it) to the trailer speakers ?? I did see on the Samsung DVD/CD player there is a function for I POD. Again, I know nothing about these I PODs, while I'm at it I mise well ask for a reccomendation on a reasonable priced I POD for her. Thanks very much.
Bobby A

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I don't know what the white box might be, someone with a later model will probably chime in. However, we own 2 ipods plus my phone, which also has an ipod function. We have a stand alone docking system with wireless speakers which we use occasionally, but usually just plug it into the DVD surround system with a simple plug. I think it's a mini RCA? The downside to doing it that way is that the ipod doesn't charge while playing, like it would with a docking station. My work-around is that my 12v outlet is right there, so plug my charger in to the ipod at the same time.
The technology part is pretty easy, it's loading all the music and making your playlists that will be hard.

I started with an ipod shuffle which is very basic. You can't really choose your songs, it just plays everything in order or "shuffle " mode. DH has the nano, so it has a nice display to see and chose what you're playing and you can have playlists or play it all. My iphone has the same features as the nano. If you just want to listen to a bunch of your own music, start with the ipod shuffle. It's great to clip on with a set of headphones for walking too. I use it a lot for yardwork and house cleaning. DH has a little memorex boombox that docks his Nano and he uses it when he's working outside. I think it was around $20 at Big Lots. We've had great luck with Apple's Ipods, and they're available almost everywhere. You used to get an itunes gift card when you bought one at Walmart, not sure if they still do that or not?
Good luck choosing!

brianharrison

The Samsung entertainment system in my early 2011 does have an Ipod dock base connected by cord to the back of the unit. I can play my old video Ipod, a newer Ipod touch and my Iphone (old one 3GS and 4G now).

All that said i still prefer my Bose rechargeable Ipod sound dock. This way it is portable and available when we boon dock. They also have a powered only model for 100 less - the sound quality is pure Bose! very good quality!

The Ipod uses a software (free) called Itunes to load music (you sync it to your computer). The itunes can import your own CDs or you can "buy" music off an Itunes store (internet).

The ipods comes with different storage capacity for more or less songs/movies. If you are using it for music only, I would recommend an 8 or 16 GB device. An ipod touch (3rd generation) can be had for $200 (frys). The shuffle is less, but I have not owned one so cannot say if it "docks" with the Samsung

Hope this helps. In a pinch, if you have grandkids - they will set you up faster than anyone of us could probably help.....:)

Brian

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We had a Samsung unit on our '09 Bighorn and I had no luck getting my Ipod to play through it. Reading through the manual I found that it was compatable with some MP3 players but not with the Ipod. Look in the back of your manual for a listing of compatable devices.

Bobby A

thank you all for that good starter information, I should of been a little more specific in my post in regards to the white box I spoke of. in the box is has what I would call a base, and then 5 plastic attachments, plus a cord. On the back of the white box it says made for iPod. Does anyone use there iPod with the Samsung ?? as Debbie mentioned, which devises/brands are compatible, anyone know off the top of there head ??

Thanks again,
Bobby A

PhotoPete

Bobby A.. I am not familiar with the samsung device you are referring to, however... Apple sells a cable conector thingie that on one end connects to the iPod iPad iPhone etc.. And the other ends connect to standard RCA audio and vidio connectors. So if your samsung has audio in RCA jacks you are all set.

I hope this is of some help to you.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bobby, if you have a Samsung HT-20 amplifier, forget it. It will only recognize Samsung and some unheard of Chinese players. It for sure won't play off a Sansa MP3 via the USB port. Even the flash drives it will work with are limited to off-brand 128MB ones. The compatibility list is in the back of the manual.

brianharrison

The model of my Samsung entertainment system is HT-Z320 (early 2011), sticker is on the side of the unit. Compatible Ipods are listed on page 32 of the manual.

You should be able to check your unit and instruction manual to determine your specific information.

The 5 plastic attachments are probably for the different ipod base configuration (the physical base are different between Ipod units).

DSC03441.jpg
DSC03439.jpg
DSC03436.jpg

Last edited: