Do you have your North Trail at home? :-)

BorgX

My North Trail 21FBS is sitting at my storage lot and I forgot to measure the distance from the back of the rear wheel to the front of the front wheel. I am wanting to cut 2x6 pieces to park the rig on when it is sitting at the lot. Can someone run out and measure for me? Please? :) OR... if you know the distance, that would be awesome too! Thanks!!

Manzan

About 66". Went out in the dark, raining, in a campground in Moab, Utah. Nothing I wouldn't do for a Heartland member! Distance on the ground a bit less.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
About 66". Went out in the dark, raining, in a campground in Moab, Utah. Nothing I wouldn't do for a Heartland member! Distance on the ground a bit less.
We were in Moab this spring. If your into sweets check out Crystal's Cakes & Cones. just off main street next door to the State Farm office. Chocolate cup cake with peanut butter frosting... YUM!!!

James! Next time, call or message me!!!! It would be nice to get to put in some PAYBACK time in return for you being my private camper guru! Now that we aren't going to every weekend NASCAR race, I can stop and help YOU anytime!

BTW... There are soooooooo many things wrong with my FBS21, we will NEVER get it back home once we go to the dealer for warranty work! Cabinet doors still falling off, oven doesn't work At All, LP gas leak OR defective detector, carbon monoxide detector doesn't work, shower door leaks, jacks stick intermittently... Forgot what else. Is yours hanging in there?
Searching here for info on just how protected we are from freezing temperatures with the heated underbelly feature. Do you know?

Anyway, call me on the easy questions next time!!

Best, Angie

TeJay

Heated Underbelly???? We have the 24-RBS. I called the factory last Spring because we had the same question. When we were looking (one full year) one of our requirements was a 4-seasons camper. The 24-RBS was listed as such. Our fresh water tank broke a strap and I had the opportunity to look under the belly floor. The water lines were located very close to the outside frames. That translates to little protection from cold getting close to the lines. There is only one small heater duct piped into the area for heat. The area is so cramped that I don't believe the heat would transfer into the entire area and afford much freezing protection. There are no heater blankets for any of the belly tanks, fresh, grey, or black. I guess those can be placed on at the dealer but nobody suggested it. The plastic cardboard belly cover affords no insulating properties. The factory rep that I spoke to at HL said that the term, "Four-seasons" is very misleading. There is no quarantee that freezing won't take place. When we had the strap replaced they (Wheels RV in Springdale, AR) were kind enough to place a 1/2" thick piece of plywood under the fresh tank and they also insulated the entire underbelly and they did not charge us for the insulation. Having said that I would not hesitate camping in temp hovering around 25 at night if they got up into the 40's during the day. You also have to keep the furnace going so that any heat that does get into the belly will give you some protection. Also realize that all of your inside lines are just that inside but usually inside the cupboards or under the dinette. The lines are also plastic and will withstand freezing because they will expand some. We live in AR and can probably extend our camping time until late November most years. Last year we headed to FL late in February and ran into some freezing in Alabama but it got warmer during the day and we had no problems. Of course the other option is to empty the lines and take water jugs for drinking, eating, flushing and washing. The Core camp ground at Beaver Dam has heated showers.
TeJay

WOW, TeJay! Thanks for all the info. We are back & forth between Memphis & Forrest City, AR. Looks like we need to drain the lines, once we get close to freezing. Frustrating, as I DID put a lot of weight on the insulation features.

Thanks again!

Heated Underbelly???? We have the 24-RBS. I called the factory last Spring because we had the same question. When we were looking (one full year) one of our requirements was a 4-seasons camper. The 24-RBS was listed as such. Our fresh water tank broke a strap and I had the opportunity to look under the belly floor. The water lines were located very close to the outside frames. That translates to little protection from cold getting close to the lines. There is only one small heater duct piped into the area for heat. The area is so cramped that I don't believe the heat would transfer into the entire area and afford much freezing protection. There are no heater blankets for any of the belly tanks, fresh, grey, or black. I guess those can be placed on at the dealer but nobody suggested it. The plastic cardboard belly cover affords no insulating properties. The factory rep that I spoke to at HL said that the term, "Four-seasons" is very misleading. There is no quarantee that freezing won't take place. When we had the strap replaced they (Wheels RV in Springdale, AR) were kind enough to place a 1/2" thick piece of plywood under the fresh tank and they also insulated the entire underbelly and they did not charge us for the insulation. Having said that I would not hesitate camping in temp hovering around 25 at night if they got up into the 40's during the day. You also have to keep the furnace going so that any heat that does get into the belly will give you some protection. Also realize that all of your inside lines are just that inside but usually inside the cupboards or under the dinette. The lines are also plastic and will withstand freezing because they will expand some. We live in AR and can probably extend our camping time until late November most years. Last year we headed to FL late in February and ran into some freezing in Alabama but it got warmer during the day and we had no problems. Of course the other option is to empty the lines and take water jugs for drinking, eating, flushing and washing. The Core camp ground at Beaver Dam has heated showers.
TeJay

TeJay

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is frustrating. We had 2 motor homes before switching to the TT and a TV. Our last MH was a Dutch Star by Newmar. Man what a quality unit. We never had issues with freezing and draining was a snap. We just opened the drain valves and then blew out the lines with low pressure air. It didn't take 10 minutes and we never had any freezing problems after 10 years of use. With TT's the drain valves are not located at the low points in the lines which makes them difficult to correctly drain. The first time I winterized I used the RV antifreeze. Man what a lousy taste in the lines which never got completely out over the next summer season. I vowed to never use that crap again and I didn't. I always used compressed air and put it into the city fresh water inlet. I was advised by the TT people to not use air so I used the RV junk. Well I'll never use it again except in the drains. I've got 35 years experience teaching automotive so I'm better informed than a lot of people. So why do most TT's come out of the factory with no shock absorbers and only Radial tires if you order them (usually) ????? It makes no sense to me but I'm convinced that the TT industry will use or not do what is right/better if it costs them a lower profit margin. There are many aspects of our TT that are much lower in quality than what we noticed having owned motor homes for 20 years. We did make the choice and HL does make a better unit than most but they are still at a lower standard than what we were used to. We'll just fix as things break and enjoy. I believe a lot has to do with the fact that we are not in the TT as it travels down the road like in a MH. I still think people want radial tires safety, improved fuel mileage, and ride quality. Shocks will also improve TT ride and the trailers effect on the TV (tow vehicle).
Best of luck!!!! I knew the automotive instructor who used to teach at the high school in Forrest City. He was a great instructor and a very nice guy. I think he moved to Jonesburrough and may be retired by now.
TeJay

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Tejay you sound just like us, we had 2 motorhomes over the course of the last 20 years. And I had no idea how much better they are built than TT's are, but we wanted a change. And didn't want the huge exspense of a brand new motorhome. All things considered and we did have some problems with this trailer when we first got it, we have had some good trips in it so far. So we are pretty happy with it.

I was glad to hear what you have to say about the RV anti-freeze, we never used it in all the years with the motorhomes, just drained all the water out of it and that was that.