want to unscrew kitchen table from the floor

twohappycampers

Yes, that's what I want to do - unscrew the black kitchen table from the floor. :) Before I go and do that, though, I'd like to hear from others who have done it. We always use the table with the leaf in, and it looks as though it's side-heavy, by that I mean if not screwed down, when someone leans on the end of the table it will topple over. What do you think? Thanks.

jpdoggett

twohappycampers
We unscrewed our table from the floor and also on the SOB we had before and it was 11 years old and both had the two sets of legs not just the one in the middle and they traveled well never fell over. We had friends that tried it with the single leg in the center and it fell over every time they moved the RV

Last edited:

danemayer

I relocated our dining table by unscrewing from the floor. I got 4 screw/bolts from Home Depot (one end is a wood screw and the other end is a machine threaded bolt) and screwed them into the floor a couple of inches further to the rear from the position of the original screws. The table goes over those bolts and is held in place by a wing nut, washer, and plastic spacer. We can quickly unbolt the table if we want to move it to a different position, but it's held securely in place while travelling. Cover the wingnuts with something or watch your toes.

I could have just relocated the table using the original screws, but I figured that after 1 or 2 moves, the holes would probably get stripped.

caissiel

The table in ours was rubbing the cabinet and the window at both ends.

So we now turn it 90 deg everytime we do travel and it is always in place never fell yet in 2 years and 10K miles.

jnbhobe

I unscrewed the table first thing. Wife likes to change things around all the time, we have never had anything move around.

twohappycampers

Thanks everyone! This is the thing: when the table isn't screwed down, and when the table has the leaf in and the table is extended, it worries me that if someone leans on the end, the table might just topple over end to end, it looks like there would be too much weight on that one end. Now, this is the black table I'm talking about. And it has nothing to do with the table toppling over when we move, because we don't move.

I could always take the screws out myself and try, but was hoping to save myself the work :eek:, being the "little woman" and all. Looking at it now, I could maybe turn the table around 180 degrees, then the curved end of the top would be at the window and the straight end at the cabinet end, maybe wouldn't be in danger of toppling over then, but it has sharp corners. Unless you have a table like mine and a similar configuration of kitchen (BC 3450TS) this won't make a whole lot of sense. Probably doesn't anyway, the way I've managed to garble it up! :D

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lorna, we unscrewed ours early on. We do travel....so we made longer straps like on the chairs and just strap it down using the chair "D" rings in the floor. It has never moved at all.

twohappycampers

Lorna, we unscrewed ours early on. We do travel....so we made longer straps like on the chairs and just strap it down using the chair "D" rings in the floor. It has never moved at all.

So, with the table not screwed down, and extended with the leaf, and no straps, you can lean on the end that has been pulled out and the table doesn't move, doesn't start to topple over, right?

rick_debbie_gallant

So, with the table not screwed down, and extended with the leaf, and no straps, you can lean on the end that has been pulled out and the table doesn't move, doesn't start to topple over, right?

How did the table covering work out for you.
We unscrewed our table from the floor. We never did like the way the table legs were set up so we unscrewed the top from the base and turned the legs 90degrees. works for us. Table dont move either.

caissiel

That sure is a great idea as the leg will be between both chairs and a bit longer reach toward the extension end.
But it could be more tippy on the corners?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lorna, how about putting the longer unstable end toward the wall. That way leaning on it should not be a problem.
Or just remember not to lean on it.
If you unscrew it and it's a problem just put the screws back in.
Like others, ours is not scewed down.

Peace
Dave

I unscrewed our table over a year ago. This lets me move the table when we have guests over for dinner.
Works out really well, and have not had a problem with it while traveling.
Yes, you do have to be careful about leaning on the end of the table.

twohappycampers

Thanks to everyone for all the great responses. Just when I think maybe I've thought of everything regarding a particular problem, 'cause I'm so darned smart :angel:, someone here comes up with something else, and that's so much appreciated!! Example: a third leg. And now I know that if I unscrew the table, it will be tippy, and I DO lean on the end a lot to balance myself when I walk through, so I'll have to turn it around with the tippy end by the window, etc. etc.

What I really appreciate here is all the responses I get from people, no matter how small the problem may seem or how easy the solution is. So, thanks! :)

ParkIt

Ruh-ro, now you all got me to thinking about something different for the dining table: bolting it to a rotating base with 2 pin locks in the most used position. It would also elevate the table, it seems like we are hunched over when sitting down.
Must research, I know it can be done. hmmmm...

ncc1701e

We also unscrewed our table to get a little more flexibility. However, when we travel I swing the table 90 deg and take a pair of long velco strips I got at Lowe's to keep the table from walking. We did not secure the table at first, but did have one trip on exceptionaly rough road and the table walked out. I've always used straps on the chairs, so now I simply wrap the straps around the center pedestal of the table and to the legs of chairs. Table sits in place with no issuses since, better safe than sorry.