ATF: Landmark - Freezer Smell in new Unit

bdennis

I have a New 2012 Landmark San Antonio. Since we took delivery their has been a terrible Smell in the Freezer. The Smell is in the Ice as well. We have dumped the Ice Continously hoping it was something in the Water Line that Feeds the Ice Maker. We also put in a Box of Arm and Hammer. Still Stinks. Any Ideas? I am planning on taking back to the Dealer soon for its first Visit to fix some minor things.

Thanks Brian Dennis

jimtoo

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I remember that some others had talked about a smell from the ice maker. Don't remember what the cure was, but thinking it was doing a complete water treatment to get rid of the smell, which I think is mostly a plastic odor. I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon and give us the cure.

Enjoy the forum and your new Landmark.

Jim M

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a thoaght but could it had been winterized? And the smell is actually in the water lines due to antifreeze.

bdennis

We have been running the Ice Maker Continously, Lines should be flushed by now. I not sure. Thanks for the Reply!

hoefler

Have you sanitized your water system?? If not you need to do so. All fresh water systems need be sanitized when they are new, serviced, winterized or have set dormant for any length of time, before being put into service.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have been running the Ice Maker Continously, Lines should be flushed by now. I not sure. Thanks for the Reply!
Dont count on the system being flushed by now with just usage. Unless you have run water through the pump and run water through the wash machine lines there could still be some anti freeze that will migrate into your system.
Can you describe what type of odor you are smelling? Plastic, alchohol, chemical, rotten eggs?? I know it is difficult to describe, but it may help.
One other thing you could try is to put an odor/taste charcoal type filter in your ice maker line. You can get one with 1/4 fittings that will slip right on at any home improvement center, such as The Home Depot.

Peace
Dave

Peace
Dave

lwmcguir

Might be worth checking the line to the fridge. Ours came with a poly tubing that you would get at the hardware store. Not sure if HL ever corrected this or not. It wasnt NSF and the ice smelled terrible. We let it run for days and it still smelled and had a funny taste similar to a poor quality garden hose. You can order the 1/4" NSF tubing from any place selling water filters or house type RO's.