Air bags vs mono-shock

sat119

Just bought a Cyclone 3210 trailer and while pulling the coach I get quite a bouncy ride. I have been told by sales persons that I need to replace my shocks with Mono-Max shocks and others say to install air bags. I am trying to keep my unloaded ride as smoth as possible (not a stiff). Which would provide the best of both worlds?

The pull vehicle is a 2008 3500 Dodge diesel truck. Hitch type fifth-wheel (companion).

Bruce Moss
sat119@sbcglobal.net

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bruce and welcome to the forum. This is a great place for sharing information.
While there are several different ways to help the ride, some are more or less effective than others. I am not familliar with Mono-Max shocks. Air bags can help some but they are used mostly to level out your TV.
There are also air hitches and air pin boxes.
And there are products to aid in the elimination of chucking, the front to back bounce.
Everyone has their personal opinion on which is the best product.
You will get plenty of information in this thread from other users.

Peace
Dave

Tankie

Bruce,

I had the trail-air center-point system (air bags) installed on our 2009 3670RL and it took out that bouncy ride. When we cross bridges it does not bounce for the next 1/4 mile like it use too. I think it is well worth the money we spent, also think it helps with the beating our units take on these great roads across the US. I will try and post some pics this weekend if you would like.. Lonnie

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have Firestone airbags on the truck and a Husky Trailer Saver hitch with air bags. Great ride and when I am not towing I can soften the ride by reducing the air in the airbags.

jpajax

The way that Dodge has placed the shocks on the inside of frame rail, I am thinking about putting air bags on my truck that goes on the outside of frame so it would give a more stable ride.

lwmcguir

I agree with the other posters. Air bags and CP for sure. Include an Air Pin Hitch when you can as well. We don't need the air bags with the F350 but sure used them on all the other TV's in the past.

porthole

Retired
If your truck sits level with the trailer on it no need for bags. I used air bags on my GMC 2500HD. That leveled the truck and helped the unloaded ride a bit. Unloaded the bags still have 5 psi, so it offers some absorption.

Bilstein shocks - eliminating factory shocks is a great way to improve overall truck ride.

I had a Tri-Glide Trail Air pin box on the trailer and didn't like it. I am currently back to using my MOR/ryde pin box and now have a Trailer Saver air ride hitch.
My F-350 is a DRW and I will be adding something to the suspension, it drops below level with the trailer attached. Either air bags or Firestone's new R4 kit.

jpajax

Is your Dodge a DRW or single wheel if it is a single I can show you a block I made to put between the leaf spring and the over load spring that will help tremendously.

Grdsman

I have air bags on my TV and they work great! The ride difference is substantial between no air and 45 PSI. I float over the big bumps, like bridges.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I'm about to replace the factory shocks on my '11 F350 with some Bilstein 5100's. Just have to wait for them to come in, backordered but should be within the next week.
I'm also going to add a set of Firestone Ride-Rite's because the 5'er makes the truck squat a bit and I've been getting flashed by oncoming vehicles at night. Most likely the wireless on-board compressor kit as well.
Then probably adding a trail air to the camper but I'm doing the truck first. I do drive it more. :)

I'd be interested in seeing the block you made. My truck is a Ford, but I doubt there is that much different between the two with regards to rear suspension.

aatauses

We had a regular Husky hitch, but then they came out with an add-on air bag system. We did this, exchanged our trail air equi-flex with the center point system and with the mor ride pin do not have any issues----However, I think?? i heard some of you say you have both air bags on your truck and air on your hitch???--I thought somewhere in the forum I read NOT to do both as they counteract and compete with each other---thoughts??
thanks
al

aatauses

If you are planning to replace shocks, I would look into the ones manufactured by Henderson line up out of Grants Pass, or.
al