Generators

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Was wondering if anyone has purchased a Champion 3500 watt Gen. set? If so some feed back would be appreciated. :confused: Ken

DennisZ

Ken
I have a very similar generator to the Champion. They seem to work OK, but are a little on the noisy side, and just aren't that well built when compared to a Honda or similar generators. They are rated for 3500 watts, but the internal wiring is really light in size. I used mine for about a year before I upgraded to the Honda.

Dennis

katkens

Thanks Dennis. This is rated at 3500/4000 peak watts and I know it's about 8db louder than the Yamaha I was looking at. We would not use it very often and need one mainly for Dog Shows and with all the other louder ones running plus the diesel pushers running constantly , noise is not a biggie. I do like the Yamaha but at this point can't justify $1600 difference. Ken

jwb187

Katkens, You might look at Kipor's, I have a 3500ti that does an outstanding job running my 15K air plus microwave at the same time. I don't know what they run now, I paid around a Grand for mine a couple of years ago. Very quiet, in fact you can carry on a conversation while standing next to it. I believe the Champion is one of those "chinese knock-off's" they work fine but are a little noisy...

DennisZ

Ken
I know exactly what you mean, the price difference is a biggie, I would most likely still be using my old one if I hadn't gotten the deal on the Honda that I got. There are a lot of folks using the Kipors like JWB187 has, they are really close to a Honda in design, just chineese made, but I think they are a good generator, and the price is certainly right.

Dennis

nscaler2

generator

Katkens,
We have the generator that you mentioned. Bought it last year from Cabela's. Like the others said, it is kind of noisy. We use it only in emergencies and when we are boodocking away from other campers. It works fine. It runs the one a/c that we have as well as the entertainment center at the same time. If you can deal with the noise it is an OK generator.

katkens

nscaler2 said:
Katkens,
We have the generator that you mentioned. Bought it last year from Cabela's. Like the others said, it is kind of noisy. We use it only in emergencies and when we are boodocking away from other campers. It works fine. It runs the one a/c that we have as well as the entertainment center at the same time. If you can deal with the noise it is an OK generator.
They just opened a new Cabela's In St.Louis and that's where we first saw one. The Champion rep. was there telling me how quiet they where and was comparable to the Yamaha sitting next to it and had to set him straight on the decibels. We just ordered one for $346.00 and will give it a try and see how it goes. Thanks Everyone=---Ken

katkens

Just an update on the Champion Generator, we recieved it on friday and after breaking it in,gave it a try. Was kinda surprised that it handled everything we threw at it, Ac, microwave, all the lights, forgot about the hairdryer or would have turned it on also. It is a little on the loud side but not near what I thought it would be. If it holds together I think I will be pleased. It was boxed up quite well and handled the transit,ok. My brother in law knows a guy that can make them quieter (?) will see. :) Ken

nscaler2

If you make it quieter

Ken,
If you do figure out a way to make your gen more quiet, please post it here. Would sure like to make ours quieter.
Thanks None

navyAZ1

I have the Kipor 3000 and all works well, by the way Kipor is made in China also and it is a Honda knock-off!

Fire123

Just an update on the Champion Generator, we recieved it on friday and after breaking it in,gave it a try. Was kinda surprised that it handled everything we threw at it, Ac, microwave, all the lights, forgot about the hairdryer or would have turned it on also. It is a little on the loud side but not near what I thought it would be. If it holds together I think I will be pleased. It was boxed up quite well and handled the transit,ok. My brother in law knows a guy that can make them quieter (?) will see. :) Ken

Just bought a Champion generator this morning on sale at Cabelas. I decided on 10w-30 oil for the temp range. What brand of oil is everyone using? Also has anybody modified theirs to make them a little quieter?