Screening over floor heat vents

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Having 2 dogs and grand kids a lot of dirt falls into the floor vents in the kitchen and living room of our 3600RL. Is it okay to put nylon screening behind the vent cover to catch some of the dirt? Would the screening create an air flow obstruction and cause air flow and heating problems? Any thoughts or ideas? Tom W

HappyKayakers

We replaced the stock registers with utility vents (like you probably have in the bathroom). When the weather's warm, we can close the vents. I imagine at the end of summer, I'll vaccuum the vents before opening again.

nhunter

I was thinking of the same thing the other day when I was fishin out Barbies shoes from the register. Home Depot had a register "filter" that might work.

tdharley

Sounds like a good idea, I might try it too.

The only thing I would think could happen is a "whistle" noise.

jpmorgan37

I am not a HVAC engineer, but it seems to me that you would really be restricting the air flow coming out. I know that a lot of people spend big bucks to reduce the air flow restriction in their tow vehicles. Also, there has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the furnace efficiency and what has been done to help it. This may be a step backwards. Besides, it only takes a minute or two to remove the grill and vacuum it out. Just my opinion.

John

nhunter

The filter I was refering to are similar to the intake side filter. It might add some restriction but, like John, I am not an engineer.

jpmorgan37

I know that Suburban tells you not to put any filter at the intake. I posted that some time ago and if you need the site, I'll look it up again.

Johnm

I wanna go camping - NOW
I put the nylon screening under my vents in my Cougar to catch the kids' toys, dirt, etc and I didn't notice any change in air flow. It's the same stuff you use on your house windows or screen doors, etc, you just cut it with scissors to fit the opening. Remember, it's only window screening, not a "furnace" type filter ... that one would probably restrict the air flow too much.