About to pull the trigger....newbie questions

tennbrad

Hey Gang-

After looking a R-pods for the past 2 weeks, we went and crawed around in MPGs today and I think we prefer them, specifically the MPG182. This will be our 1st camper and TV is a 2008 Nissan Titan/tow package.
Look forward to gleening wisdom from the forum and would like ask for your indulgence re: a few newbie questions:

1. It seems that the 2012 models have made the grey/platinum color, aluminum wheels, black water flush and bike hitch optional. So if I can find a new 2011 clearance and pay less for these options that were standard last year (I really prefer the grey and the black water flush seems like a good thing) wouldn't that be the way to go?

2. We will be dry camping during our 1st trip some (Big Bend Nat park)...maybe even 3 days at a time. Being conserative with power use, is it possible (or advisable) to do this if I have two deep cycle batteries?

3. What's up with the dome awning? I've heard alot of conflicting info on it. Is it readily avail? How much is it? Does it work well? and if not are there some good less expensive generic alternatives?

4. Wondered about the wooden medicine cabinet in the bathroom...doesn't it get wet?

Many more questions but I wanted to start with these.

Thank you all so much in advance for your help and advice!

Brad
Nashville

marc515

#1. Concur.

#3. Dome awning is nice if you plan to stay for a few days; it's like an extra room. Only takes about 10-15 minutes to set up.

#4. Only used our shower once, and yes you will get a few drops on it, but wipe it down and you should have no problem.

kb0zke

Someone mentioned recently that the mpg was discontinued, and now Jim said it, too. I just checked the Heartland site and the mpg is not listed! First Ford discontinued my Mercury and now Heartland discontinues my mpg. Maybe I should go buy a Wanderlodge and an Edsel for a toad.

tennbrad

I'm not sure it being discontinued should play much into my decision. We like the 182. and maybe I can get a better deal on one. I assume HL will honor warranty on all MPGs sold. Am I missing something?

bc

MPG185-GA

Hi Tennbrad,

I have 2 batteries on my 185 and, being conservative, we were fine for 3 days in the Smokies National Park. I agree with Marc515...we have used our shower plenty and just a quick drying and the cabinet is fine. We love our dome room....you just have to make it work, but the extra room is a huge plus.

jbeletti

I'm not sure it being discontinued should play much into my decision. We like the 182. and maybe I can get a better deal on one. I assume HL will honor warranty on all MPGs sold. Am I missing something?

bc

Full warranty. Buy what you like. Heartland will have your back on an MPG if that's your choice. If you have trouble finding one, call Heartland and ask for Mike Creech. He is the brand manager for our trailer division. He or his team can check dealer inventories for the model you want.

Happy camping.

Jim

M

Mcreech

Someone mentioned recently that the mpg was discontinued, and now Jim said it, too. I just checked the Heartland site and the mpg is not listed! First Ford discontinued my Mercury and now Heartland discontinues my mpg. Maybe I should go buy a Wanderlodge and an Edsel for a toad.

Heartland has shut down production of the MPG for now, that doesnt mean we wont start it up again and it doesnt mean we are not going to support the retail customers that have purchased an MPG.... Heartland will contiune to stand behind our product, no matter if we are currently building it or not. If you like the MPG and have found one on a dealers lot, by all means you should probably buy it..... Heartland will be here for you... Thanks Mike C

Tumblebug

Looks like the MPG is following the EDGE! It does not make any difference I still own one.

Last edited:
Buy the 182 you'll love it. Just got back from a 4000 mile trip with mine; no problems at all. Can't beat it for 2 people.

See pictures of the Dome installed as an awning on my 182 on the MPG Screen Room Thread.

Averaged 11 mpg with 5.7L Hemi Jeep.With this vehicle equipped with load leveler and anti-sway I didn't even know the MPG was behind me through all mountains from FL to ME and back.

Dry camped in Everglades NP last December and trailer was great. I used self contained battery powered Coleman lanterns for light at night.

tennbrad

Bought a 182 last week. Love it so far. Taking it to Texas in two weeks for a three week test run. Curious as to a list of "travel Trailer must haves". This will be our first RV experience.

Thanks!
brad

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations on the new MPG. A three week test run....way to go!
A few must haves, IMO, are wheel chocks, sewer hose, water hose (one made for drinking water), beer, water pressure regulator, (a good one, not the plastic Wal Mart variety), some sort of leveling blocks or boards, a level and some stick on levels once you are level, patience, and above all a have fun attitude.
Where you headed in TX?

Peace
Dave

tennbrad

Haha thanks for the list, bro.
We are going from nashville over to hot springs nat park...down to somewhere outside of dallas maybe, down to Guadloupe River state park, into san antonio for my wife's HS reunion for a few days then...a couple of days over to Big Bend (although dry camping only I've heard?) then from there not sure??

Suggestions?

bc

Congratulations on the new MPG. A three week test run....way to go!
A few must haves, IMO, are wheel chocks, sewer hose, water hose (one made for drinking water), beer, water pressure regulator, (a good one, not the plastic Wal Mart variety), some sort of leveling blocks or boards, a level and some stick on levels once you are level, patience, and above all a have fun attitude.
Where you headed in TX?

Peace
Dave

marc515

Bought a 182 last week. Love it so far. Taking it to Texas in two weeks for a three week test run. Curious as to a list of "travel Trailer must haves". This will be our first RV experience.

Thanks!
brad

Congratulations; please let us know how your first trip goes, and any enhancements you make.

Dave did a good job of covering the basics; All I can add is:

A can of bug spray
Aeroweave mat and a couple of camp chairs for out side
Barker 3500 power jack

Oh, and don't buy a bunch of junk that will take up space and load you down; it's easy to get caught up buying a bunch of "stuff".

Tumblebug

A 13/16 inch deep thin wall socket, just in case you have a flat. Hard to get the lug nuts of those wheels.

tennbrad

So, after two days on the road with the MPG 182, we had a substantial leak in the pantry. Found a heartland dealer in San antonio that checked it out and re-sealed the seams in the shower. However, they said they found some hairline cracks in the pan after removing the toilet and recommended having it replaced when we get home. Now that we are back in nashville, I am having a terrible time finding anyone to do the warranty repair. Heartland says to find any rv repair center (doesn't have to be a heartland dealer) and have them fax an estimate and they will approve it but almost every dealer I've talked to have been very leary, saying we've never done anything like that before and you have to pay us and get reimbursed by heartland. There are a couple of heartland dealers in the middle tenn area but one basically told me to get lost and the other won't even respond to my inquiry. I wish I'd realized that RV dealers acted liked 13 year old girls you didn't ask to the prom. I went out of the area to buy an MPG because there was only one within 250 miles and it was not the year and model we wanted. Is there any other solution to getting this warranty work done? I sent jbeletti (director of owner interests) a PM (he's in Tenn) and haven't heard back from him.
Heartland might have my back but not sure has my front here....

Thanks for any help
Brad
Nashville

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Heartland says to find any rv repair center (doesn't have to be a heartland dealer) and have them fax an estimate and they will approve it but almost every dealer I've talked to have been very leary, saying we've never done anything like that before and you have to pay us and get reimbursed by heartland.
I don't see how Heartland can force the local independent to do warranty work so I would get the approval (in writing) from Heartland, get it fixed, pay them and submit it for reimbursement.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I don't see how Heartland can force the local independent to do warranty work so I would get the approval (in writing) from Heartland, get it fixed, pay them and submit it for reimbursement.

Yes, thats the only way. Even some Heartland dealers will demand payment up front for warranty work if you did not buy the rig from them.

marc515

Wow, I tell you after reading this thread, that someone needs to police the RV industry.

When you buy a car/truck, the warranty transfers through to the subsequent owners; not RV's! Either you build a quality product and stand by it, or not, and apparently the RV industry has chosen to save money by not transferring the warranty. I was really surprised when I found out Heartland would not repair bubbles in our slide out (obvious manufacturing defect) because we were the second owners. I even wrote the CEO of Heartland a nice letter, and was not even afforded the courtesy of a response; I have lost faith in Heartland, and would not recommend them to anyone.

And as far as paying for a warranty repair, and getting reimbursed......now, that's just silly, and something Heartland needs to fix; what kind of message is that sending to their customers.

I don't know if any of the other RV manufacturer's are any better, but I'll surly find out, as this will be my last Heartland.