Functionality with 30 amps instead of 50

phix

We will be camping the month of December next to the beach in South Carolina. They only have 30 amp service and so far we have had 50 amp since we got our RV in May. Since we will not need A/C, I'm hoping that we will not really be inconvenienced too much. Is that right? Will we be able to run frig, microwave, fireplace, washer/dryer, counter appliances, hot water, TVs, etc., all at once? Or will we need to switch hot water and frig to gas or be careful what we run sumultaneously?

Just wondering....

jnbhobe

You won't be able to run everything at once but you won't be far off. If you pop the pedestal breaker start shutting things off. I had to use my 50 amp cord once this summer ( actually the first time ever ) but I always use the 30 amp cord, Its a whole lot lighter.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You should be able to run all the appliances but I would suggest running the water heater on propane and the frig on propane. Everything else will run but you will not be able to run both air conditioners at the same time. Also you cannot run the microwave at the same time the dryer is on. What we do is only turn on the hot water heater when we will need it and not leave it on all of the time.

phix

You won't be able to run everything at once but you won't be far off. If you pop the pedestal breaker start shutting things off. I had to use my 50 amp cord once this summer ( actually the first time ever ) but I always use the 30 amp cord, Its a whole lot lighter.

Hmmm. I don't think we have 2 cords. The BH comes with a power reel as standard now and is 50 amp. Isn't there a gizmo that will allow us to use a 50 amp cord and plug it into a 30 amp?

phix

You should be able to run all the appliances but I would suggest running the water heater on propane and the frig on propane. Everything else will run but you will not be able to run both air conditioners at the same time. Also you cannot run the microwave at the same time the dryer is on. What we do is only turn on the hot water heater when we will need it and not leave it on all of the time.

That is good to know. We will not need A/C, but will need heat! We haven't used heat yet. I'm guessing it runs off propane; maybe it switches to electric? DH will figure that out. I'm not going anywhere without 50 amp in the summer. Must have both A/C on here in the south. I'm sure you can relate being from TX.

GOTTOYS

Hmmm. I don't think we have 2 cords. The BH comes with a power reel as standard now and is 50 amp. Isn't there a gizmo that will allow us to use a 50 amp cord and plug it into a 30 amp?
Yes you should carry an adapter to go from 50 amp down to 30. Many parks don't have 50 amp service. There is another adapter that will go on the coach so you can run a 30 amp cord ou to the power pedestal. A 30 amp cord is much lighter and easier to roll up and handle. If you need one and don't have it you can often buy an adapter from the RV park...at about 3 times the price....Don

porthole

Retired
Get a "dog bone" adapter.
http://tweetys.com/18-adapter-30m-to-50f.aspx

You have a reel, which has flexible cord, no need to use the 30 cord like some of us had in the past or still do.

Your fridge is AC (minimal) and/or 12volts and propane. Your furnace uses 12 volts and propane.

Your big current draws will be the water heater and converter. I have seen my converter drawing as high as 12-14 amps (AC)
Your fireplace will draw about 12-13 amps when using the heat mode.
I haven't checked the washer dryer yet, but I have run my dryer on a 15 amp circuit with no problem.
Don't forget the coffee pot in the morning.

Water heater, coffee pot and microwave just ain't gonna work together - oh, and the blow dryer.............

We sometimes take for granted that although the bigger trailers have 50 amp service, it is 2 - 50 amps lines coming in.

Bottom line is many of us have gotten by just fine with 30 amp service as long as we don't need two AC's and are mindful of what is on.

danemayer

Dryer draws about 14 Amps on high setting; less on low setting but the clothes may never get dry. Microwave is probably at least 10 Amps.

caissiel

Here I am in the North and the Fireplace is on and the dryer is running and all summer we have been on 30 amps. My rule of thumb is shut the Fireplace if the dryer is on and need to use an other appliance like the Microwave. I feel the fireplace is just like the A/C.
Our dryer is the combination model and might not need as much power then the stackable model though. Most I have measured with all the batteries down and charging is 2.3 Amps load on the powerplant. To me the inverter is none exisitant.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are listings available which list how many amps various appliances draw. You can use these as a guide to determine what you need to turn off to stay within the limits.

porthole

Retired
A 45 amp converter is rated at 45 amps at 12 volts. At it's max load it draws about 8 AC amps.Typical though is 2-3 amps.
The Cyclones have an 80 converter. I have seen as high as 12-14 amps after a night of no genny when I first start it up.

traveler44

I bought a 30A cord right away that has the Marinco 50A that plugs into the side of the 5er and the 30A that plugs into the c.g.post. We use the 30A cord and run the W.H. and fridge on elect. but shut off nearly everything else except the lights and tv to use the microwave. Usually the only thing that will happen if you try to pull too many amps is that the breaker on the post will trip and you just go out and reset it. I have a 30A surge protector that plugs into the post too and feel that it will protect us from damaging our elect. system because it won't kick on if the power source isn't right. Tom M.

RanCarr

Get a "dog bone" adapter.
http://tweetys.com/18-adapter-30m-to-50f.aspx

Bottom line is many of us have gotten by just fine with 30 amp service as long as we don't need two AC's and are mindful of what is on.

Some of us never had anything but 30 Amp. We don't miss what we never had. We're careful what we turn on and what's already running. For heat we use one of those small electric heaters with an added thermostat. Since electricity is included in the site rent, no use using our own propane. :D

aatauses

We have used 30 amp numerous times without major issues. Yes, you wll need to get an adapter which can be bought at any RV supply. ON the 30 amps, the only things we are careful about not running together are the coffee pot and hair dryer. The other things can run together, fireplace, microwave, furnace. However we do not have a clothes dryer.
al

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We just got back from spending over a week at Edisto Beach State Park in SC and didn't have any problems using the 30 amp service. You just have to be smart when using appliances. Temps even got in the upper 80's a couple of days and we were able to even use both a/cs, keeping the coach comfortable between 68-70 degrees. To do this, we turned the hot water heater off and ran the refrig on gas during the hot part of the day. Running both a/c's pulled a total of 27 amps when both were on the same cycle. Have fun!

phix

We have used 30 amp numerous times without major issues. Yes, you wll need to get an adapter which can be bought at any RV supply. ON the 30 amps, the only things we are careful about not running together are the coffee pot and hair dryer. The other things can run together, fireplace, microwave, furnace. However we do not have a clothes dryer.
al

Now that is amazing. Everyone says that you cannot run both ACs. I guess it is just a matter of priorities. Good to know we can get by nicely with the 30 amps.

So you stayed at Edisto Island? Would love to know what you thought. Would you go back? What site did you have?