What am I missing?

frano

Here in New England, gas is running just under $4/gallon for the cheap stuff. Heartland discontinued the Edge and has apparently stopped production on the MPG. I would think that during these tough economic times and high fuel costs there would be a market for these smaller, fuel efficient trailers. What am I missing?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Fuel here in Trinity Tx for regular gasoline is $3.25 a gallon. Sounds like you folks in New England are getting ripped off again.

RonBB

I personally don't think that you are the one missing something. See the thread under Prospective Owners. It certainly looks like a very short term decision rather than a thoughtful long term approach by Heartland. The Edge was/is a unique light weight travel trailer line.

Last edited:
Here in New England, gas is running just under $4/gallon for the cheap stuff. Heartland discontinued the Edge and has apparently stopped production on the MPG. I would think that during these tough economic times and high fuel costs there would be a market for these smaller, fuel efficient trailers. What am I missing?

My best guess is that the Edge and MPG were more expensive per unit to manufacture than a similar sized Wilderness, and the market was just not supporting the margins needed by Heartland to build them. It probably holds true that many travel trailer buyers shop by size and price, rather than weight and smart design.

At least many of us so the light and grabbed one when we could. Hopefully the market shifts again at some point and we finally move back towards products like the Edge and away from Ma and Pa specials like the Wilderness.

Zeman

How many other lines has Heartland picked up in the last year? Along the lines of Colorado's thinking----is the Edge a victim of not making enough $$$$$ for the manufacturer? With the other lines acquired has Heartland eliminated the "less" profitable and in a sense bitten off more than they can chew? I went to the Syracuse NY dealer RV show last weekend and there was no shortage of manufacturers touting lightweight/laminated.........etc,etc TT's. Saw the Evergreen Element 24 footer for a mere $48k+. Nice trailer,48K,ouch!!!