Recommended Caulking for Roof

Chris562

I found a crack in the skylight of my bathroom. I ordered a new skylight directly from Heartland and I need some recommendation for replacing it. Can anyone provide me with a recommendation on caulk and procedures for switching out the skylight? Any information will be helpful.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris562

If the plastic lid is all thats broke ,you can change that out without removeing the base . I have had to replace 2 already , they can be found at most local rv dealers. If your base is in need of replacing they are just screwed down and caulked with a Dicor Lap Sealant . https://dicorproducts.com/catalog/roof-products/replace/epdm-lap-sealants/

I think there is a misunderstanding. I think you are referring to the vent cap. I am referring to the skylight over the shower that does not open. But thanks for the recommendation on the sealant. I read somewhere that it is recommended you put putty tape down between the plastic skylight and the rubber roof. Can anyone confirm this?

brianharrison

I have installed vents and skylights with putty, or butyl, tape between the flange and EPDM roof. It adds a layer of sealing under the flange and around the screw shanks; the Dicor Lap Sealant seals the screw heads and around the edges of the flange.

Brian

Chris562

Thanks very much for the information. When I replace the skylight, I will put the putty tape between and then seal the top. I looked into the EternaBond stuff but it is really expensive.