Bedroom Slide - Broken Roller on Slide

ncc1701e

Guys,

Just want to share some information and something that perhaps some folks should look at before a problem arrises. I am having to have my bedroom slide removed from our trailer and repairs made because of a nickle screw. On the last night of our most recent outing the bedroom slide popped and jerked when I extended the bedroom slide. It popped loudly in both directions. Today, Jul. 19 2011, a service tech found a roller broken loose from its mounting under the slide. To properly replace, the slide must be removed. This means significant downtime and not every facility can handle the repairs. I wanted to share the photos and information so that others might be able to check their units before damage occurs. At this point, it does not appear that any damage to the motor happened.

Broken Roller Bed 1.jpg Broken Roller Bed 2.jpg Opinions are like alot other things, everyone has them. However, it is my opionion that the screws clearly are not correct for this application. The screws used were a counter-sunk wood screw and not not a flat-head wood screw. The bracket is clearly not bored for a counter-sunk screw. I am just hoping that when the slide is removed the repair facility will understand my insistance that all the other rollers be checked and any such screws be replaced with one for this application. I really find it had to understand how something like this happens. The wife said it best, "We paid a lot of good money for this trailer and this kind of laps in quality control really leaves a bad taste in your mouth." We had a living room slide in the spring also. Just a little background to the wife's feelings.

Did not mean to vent so much, I really just wanted to share the experience in the hope that it might prevent frustration on someone elses part.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sometimes I wonder why they used the screws they do. It seems like they just use the ones at hand and not always the best for the application. The roller there did not need a screw of that type at all. A round head screw would have held much better IMO.