Tankless water heater...

rlaubert

Has anyone converted their water heater to a tankless system? We are full timers and I want to upgrade/replace the current water tank system to a tankless one. Saves a lot of propane as it only comes on when it is needed and doesn't limit the amount of hot water. We had one of these in our house in Japan 30 years ago it was great. They now make them for Atwood water heater replacements for about $650.

jnbhobe

If I am not mistaken forum member Pulltab has had one installed in his Bighorn for years.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We are also full timers and have never run out of hot water. I'm not sure of the amount of propane that would be saved but $650 will buy a lot of propane.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Another thing to consider is, if you are at a park and do not have to pay for electricity, you have no option but to use propane. No free hot water.

Peace
Dave

jbeletti

I had one from Girard in my last demo coach. The product was new to the market for them and I went through 3 of them as they improved them. I liked the last version I had in it. I assume the current owner likes it too. Al?? :)

As Jay mentions, as a replacement item, sort of spendy. In place of a std unit at time of build - not so bad.

Jim

GaryL

The key though would be that 1) No Anode Rod to replace and 2) You're not using gas keeping the water in the tank hot. It's an on demand system so you're saving gas.

If you're out for the day doing your thing, how often does the tank have to get heated? If you're boondocking or in a colder climate, that will chew up gas. Yeah, it would be pricey but it would save in the long run.

Willym

You don't have to leave the heater on all day. There is a switch for it, and on gas, the water heats up quite quickly. We just turn ours on in the morning for a couple of hours, and the same in the evening, when we're paying for electric, or if we have no electric hook up.

The key though would be that 1) No Anode Rod to replace and 2) You're not using gas keeping the water in the tank hot. It's an on demand system so you're saving gas.

If you're out for the day doing your thing, how often does the tank have to get heated? If you're boondocking or in a colder climate, that will chew up gas. Yeah, it would be pricey but it would save in the long run.