Good bye, my last old friend...

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist

Manchu Six this is Manchu Four.
Four this is Six --Go.

Six just received notification that Four Actual is down hard. No survivors.
Four this is Six. Thank you for the notification. I will notify Six Actual personally.

Four if you have no further traffic, Manchu Six out.

Six this is Four -- out.....until we all meet at Fiddler's Green, once again

It's hard to believe that I knew this clown for 37 years...we had so many adventures that I could not put them all down...from stealing 1,000 sheets from Bassett Army Hospital to shooting prostitutes on 2d Ave. in Fairbanks from the 2d floor of the Star of the North Building, using a Whammo Slingshot and nickel pencil erasers...to parking a Volkswagen bug in the lobby of Grant Hall on Ft Wainwright. Rolled it in...carried it out... Burned my a** off with him in Vietnam...and froze it off in Alaska. Ran with him during a couple of real gun battle, we had, with some pimps during the Alaskan Pipeline Boom. Saw him through 4 marriages two different sets of kids..and held his hand while I sat here and watched him die a slow death.

Our youth was spent on the battlefields of southeast Asia. We went there as kids and came back shot up, and used up. We got not respect and getting spit on was one of the milder things we got thrown on us. The Army was our home and we both lost when we had to get out because "Daddies, don't raise kids alone in the Good Ol' US Army" We lost things we never got back...and we left things that we needed to live as normal human beings. Things that we needed to survive in the battlefields of the US. We may have been a lot of things...but, NORMAL was never one of them. Probably why we remained friends for so long, jungle beasts never run alone. And, at one time, that's exactly what we were.

We spent literally thousands of hours on the phone at night, when neither one of could sleep, talking about the old days...and where our final destination was going to be. I watched him separate himself totally from everyone he ever knew...and just sat there and wished himself away. It was a sad ending to an often sad life. I miss him now..and I'll miss him for whatever time I got left. I got nobody else. He went the way he wanted. He was my last friend. And now, I'm it the last of us...and our time is nearly gone.

dale22.jpg304746_2407159904882_1427715316_32798495_5624055_n.jpg dalehorn.jpg

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Lefty, it's tough to loose a long time friend. Especially one you've shared those experiences with. But to quote a fiesty bird's mantra, live by it and try to move on.

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave
safely in a pristine, well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways,totally used
up and worn out, shouting Holy #$&^%$^,
...what a ride!!"

We'll all be here to harass and cajole you when you need it.

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
Lefty I'm sorry to hear the lost of a good close friend that you have shared alot of good memory and times with. May God bless, and peace be with you my friend. TRAVELER07

jpdoggett

Lefty I am sorry to hear about your friend and may God Hold Him Close in Heaven cause he has done his time in ****. I have a few of my Viet Nam friend still kickin but they get smaller every year.

Take Care Brother

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Lefty, I cry for you, my eyes are so full of tears that I can hardly type this message. I know neither of you, but yet I know your soul and spirit. I am grieving with you deeply and pray that your friend is with our lord Jesus this day. I know life is not what we always want it to be but what we make if it and our companions. Grieve strongly for your friend and look to meet him again in the distant future.

I pray your you and wish you God's blessing.

A friend
Bob Curry
TXBobcat
Vietnam 62-66

jbeletti

Lefty,

So sorry about the loss of your friend. I recall you mentioning him to me many times. I know it's not the same, but you still have your daughter, your 4-legged fur kids and us here on the Heartland Owners Forum. Thanks for renewing your club membership today too. Emailing you my new phone number. Let's chat this weekend.

Sorry friend.

Jim

Geo

Lefty, I also sit here with my eye full of tears, I don’t know you or your friend but you will be in my thoughts.
Thank you for the service to our country.
May God bless & peace be with you.

George