SHURflo 5.7 wont shut off/wont prime

PEPASLEY

I have a SHURflo 5.7 that will not build enough pressure to shut off. After I removed the lines to pressure check my system it wont prime. I was able to get it primed by filling all of the lines using city water, then manually priming the pump by removing the inlet filter cover and pouring water in. Once it sputters for a while it will work. Any ideas? Bad pump?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
PEPASLEY, Welcome to the Heartland Forum. I was wondering if this is the first time you have tried to use your on board fresh water system? There have been a few of the 5.7 pumps having issues and most are related to debris in the pump mechanism. It can be dissassembled to clean but that doesn't always solve the problem. My 07 Bighorn came with the 5.7 but after a couple of issues, Shurflo replaced it with the basic 2.8 pump which is a good standard pump with plenty of pressure and flow. Since your rig is 5 years old, I'm guessing you're on your own and need to replace the 5.7

PEPASLEY

Ray, Thanks for the warm welcome! It has been working flawlessly for years. I took it apart last night and I did find a very small pice of plastic that had become imbedded in the inner rubber "diaphram". After I removed it there is still an indentation left behind. The inside of the valves were pretty clean. No warranty so I m on my own. With all of the problems Ive read about the 5.7 Im leary or buying another, although mine has worked great for almost 5 years.

PEPASLEY

well I replaced it with a 2.8 that was in stock locally and a fraction of the price.It works great. I didnt notice much of a difference with only one faucet in use at a time.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
well I replaced it with a 2.8 that was in stock locally and a fraction of the price.It works great. I didn't notice much of a difference with only one faucet in use at a time.
I agree! How often do we use more than one fixture at a time anyway? Unless I forget and flush while the wife's in the shower:D. The 2.8 is a solid performer.