Replacing Touch Audio System Mod

hoeboe

Hi:
This is my first post with pictures to detail a mod to my 2011 Elkridge 34TSRE. Based on the posts I've seen regarding the Touch Audio system that is used in many different models, I figure this might be helpful to others. Before you get started, remember that the Elkridge cabinetry is covered with a cherry vinyl veneer. Your unit may be different.

Let's face it, the Touch Audio system leaves a lot to be desired. I decided to replace it with something better and the results turned out better than I expected. I didn't take pictures until I was done, but it's very easy to do.

1) Remove the original system. The brackets on the side are friction fit and can be pulled off with something like a credit card. There are then six screws holding the system in. Remove these too and pull the unit out and unplug the wiring harness.

My unit had a nicely finished shelf hidden behind the player! Cherry finish matches everything!

2) My cabinets had two upright stiles that the original player was screwed to and a panel on each side stapled into the back of these stiles and the stiles on the outside of the cabinet. Using a hammer (or the original player!) smack on these panels from the front to knock them out. One of the panels is shown in the pictures.

3) remove the center 2 stiles. Each had two screws on the top and 2 on the bottom holding them to the cabinetry rails. In addition, each had a wavy staple about an inch long on the top and bottom. Remove the screws and pull the stiles off the staples. I had a bit of the staple stuck in the cabinet frame that I had to pull out with vice grips. You will damage the wood, but you can fix that. With everything removed, you're left with a wide and deep shelf with a lip on the front.

4) I cleaned up where I damaged the wood and covered the holes with putty. You can see the "repaired" damage in one of the photos. This is the top of the cabinet and you can't see it unless you get underneath the cabinets. I didn't bother fixing these.

5) To cover up the damage, I took one of the panels I removed and soaked it in a bowl of warm water for about an hour until the veneer began peeling. I cut off a 1" piece of the veneer wide enough to cover each of the putty covered holes. I used contact cement to glue the veneer over the damage, essentailly aligning the direction of the grain but no other special effort to match. Good as new! It's honestly a 6" repair job- no one would know unless I told them.

Now you're left with a nice wide open shelf! Extra storage and room for a better quality all in one home theater! I held in the new system with some velcro and I am using the speakers that came with the home theater. The picture, sound, remote, EVERYTHING is so much better than the Touch Audio system. I chose not to plug it into the stock wiring harness, but you could with a little effort. I also have not hooked up the antenna.

Hope this proves useful!

ATT59959.jpgATT89619.jpgATT56532.jpgATT99402.jpg