Cyclone 3800 Dilema

Hi folks, new to the boards here as you can see. Wifey and I have been lurking around the dealer lots and websites for the past month or so. Went to the Hershey show last weekend and really liked the Cyclone 3800. I have a '05 Ram 3500 Cummins, doolie, 4:10's 6 speed stick. Manual says it can tow 15.5k??? Really? I see all kinds of TH's being towed around with 3/4 ton single rear wheel trucks? What gives? Am I nuts thinking I don't have enough truck to tow this trailer?

jnbhobe

Dodge is always underrating their trucks, although I hear they are up this year. You will be over the numbers , but the truck will pull it with no problem, you may want air bags to level it out.

caissiel

I tow mine with a stick, but I have smeeled the clutch when I have tried to back it slowly.
So I use the low range with the hubs unlocked when I park the trailer. But I do have to lock the hubs when I need to back or drive forward on wheel blockings.
The dodge has no locking hubs that I know of, so low range is out of the question.
But from talking to friends that pull with standard Rams its you best truck to tow the heavier trailers, they are awsome pullers.

CrazyCooter

You will be over Dodge's recommended weight #'s, but don't sweat it.....Your Dodge will pull it fine! My 300C doesn't even make the suspension touch the overloads and with the 4.10's you could pull a mobile home.

Which 6 speed do you have? I just did the free spin hub kit and 4.10's in my truck last weekend, so backing in low range will be so nice now.

I would recommend an exhaust brake if you don't have one yet as the brakes have a little to be desired on these trailers.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I installed the jake within months of buying the truck. The trans is the earlier version New Venture.
Looks like I'm sol, most of the TH's will be too heavy in that size. The only possibility looks like a Recon 39A.
I'm not replacing the truck as it's only got around 45k miles, it's set up the way I wanted it, and most of all IT'S PAID FOR!!!

Kingcat

The dry weight with genset is very close to max towing capacity on your dodge. I had same problem when we bought our 3800, had to sell truck and bought new duramax 3500 dually.

adam

Thought I would add my 2 cents worth.....

Recently replaced our 2012 3800 (damaged in wind storm) with a new 370C.

The towing difference for us was VERY noticeable. Not to say the 3800 had bad road manners but it liked to chuck alot. Our new 370C is really aerodynamic, this may seem strange reading but it actually tows easier. The pin weight is slightly higher on the 370C but it does much less chucking and seems to have a little less tail swing.
I know this whole weight discussion is very, very subjective..... What I recommend is find a dealer that will let you take a test drive with a prospective Cyclone - it just might make you look/consider another series in the Cyclone line-up.

PS We pull with a 2008 F450 diesel. Stock Suspension. Husky 20K hitch.

Adam

BarneyFife

Our 370C pulls as stable and effortlessly at highway speeds as any smaller RV we've ever owned. I've attributed it entirely to the aerodynamics. I love the "Titanium" nosepiece, both inside and out. Now if they had just put a 16'+ garage on the back, it would be the perfect floorplan.

Whirly

I also have a dilema. Just purchased a new 3800 towing with 2011 350, and on way home when I manually applied electric brakes, I received a message 'no trailer'. I pulled over, unplugged and replugged, but still got message all the way home with no electric brakes. Don't know yet if it's the truck or RV. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?

TwoGypsies

I have a 2011 F350. Did you have the dealer install the in-bed receptacle? There might be a miss-wiring. It was the first thing I thought of. The new trailer was towed to the dealer, so surely a flaw in the trailer wiring would have been reported and fixed.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One thing you could do is put your meter on the brake pin at the receptacle that you plug into. Have someone apply the brakes and see if you are getting current at that point.
That should tell you if it is the truck or trailer.

Peace
Dave

gpshemi

We drag our 3612 all over the place including the Smokies with no issue. Although I do have some mods.

andy

I pull a 3600 bighorn loaded with a trailer with a golf cart with a 05 2500 Dodge auto with 3.73 gears no upgrades an it does just fine even without an exhaust brake. Although i would like to have one .These trucks have very good brakes