Newbies travel in New Jersey - Low clearance concerns

Vinny773

Hello All,
We are Newbie's traveling in New Jersey with our Bighorn3455RL with second air conditioner, approx. 13'11". We are presently in Cape May looking to go back home to Denville, NJ. Are there any issues using the NJ Turnpike or the Parkway that we should be aware of. Does anyone know of any really low bridges or other obstacles we should be aware of? We are leaving tomorrow morning so all information will be greatly apprecitated.

brianharrison

There is an add on for GPS systems that can identify low height restrictions on planned routes.

Link to previous thread.

Brian

danemayer

First off, have you measured the height of your Bighorn while hitched to the truck, and sitting on level ground? The factory spec is 12'11". The front A/C might have added to that slightly, but I wonder if it added a foot. You probably have a very special A/C unit to be higher than 13'1".

Second, there a several ways to get low clearance info. You can buy a copy of the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas. It contains listings of all low clearances by route # with location information. The cheap paperback edition contains the info, but is not terribly convenient to use while on the road. There are more expensive versions that are spiral bound and laminated. My copy shows a few low clearance routes in New Jersey but doesn't mention Interstate 95. The interstates generally have 14' or higher clearances (but there are probably a few exceptions around the country.

If you have a gps and know how to install custom Points of Interest, you can search the internet for low clearance poi and add them to your gps. Some are free. Some are fee-based. I can't attest to how reliably they work, or how the gps uses them to alert you.

You can also get a new gps for RVs or Truckers from several vendors. I have a Garmin Dezl that lets you put in a vehicle profile including height, width, length and weight. It then routes you around low clearances or other road problems.

Someone on this forum who is familiar with the roads you're likely to take will probably offer comment, but if you take a wrong turn, who knows what you'll find ahead of you.

Good luck.

Vinny773

Danemayer,
thank you very much for all the very useful information. The front A/C is low profile according to Heartland. I think we should be fine but it's people like you who lessen the fears of the newbies. Thanks again and maybe someday we will meet up and laugh at my fears when I get more rving time under my belt.

First off, have you measured the height of your Bighorn while hitched to the truck, and sitting on level ground? The factory spec is 12'11". The front A/C might have added to that slightly, but I wonder if it added a foot. You probably have a very special A/C unit to be higher than 13'1".

Second, there a several ways to get low clearance info. You can buy a copy of the Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas. It contains listings of all low clearances by route # with location information. The cheap paperback edition contains the info, but is not terribly convenient to use while on the road. There are more expensive versions that are spiral bound and laminated. My copy shows a few low clearance routes in New Jersey but doesn't mention Interstate 95. The interstates generally have 14' or higher clearances (but there are probably a few exceptions around the country.

If you have a gps and know how to install custom Points of Interest, you can search the internet for low clearance poi and add them to your gps. Some are free. Some are fee-based. I can't attest to how reliably they work, or how the gps uses them to alert you.

You can also get a new gps for RVs or Truckers from several vendors. I have a Garmin Dezl that lets you put in a vehicle profile including height, width, length and weight. It then routes you around low clearances or other road problems.

Someone on this forum who is familiar with the roads you're likely to take will probably offer comment, but if you take a wrong turn, who knows what you'll find ahead of you.

Good luck.

scotty

You'll probably be ok, but tend to stay in the middle lane about Asbury Park if you're on the Parkway as some of the arch underpasses get close to 13'. Turnpike I think you're ok.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Sent you a PM but use the local lanes and up past the Driscol Bridge stay in the middle lanes for the arches and ignore all the fingers you'll get!

JIM-GERI

Hi Guys, just wanted to say welcome to the Heartland Family and has you could see there a lot of help! Hope to catch up with guys soon. Jim&Geri

hoefler

As said above, you need to re-measure while hooked up to your truck and on level ground. If indeed you are over 13'6", you are running illegal. Max height on any public highway is 13'6" with out special permits and routing. My bet is a mis-measurement. My Landmark measures 13'3" to the top of the Satellite dome. My low profile front A/C is lower than the satellite dome by a few inches. Re-measure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Landmark is 13'2" but we remember it as 13'6" to be on the safe side. As others said remeasure when you are hitched to be sure. 13'11" sounds too high to me. There are many bridges with 14' clearances around the country but as long as you stay on the major highways (i.e. interstates and us highways) you should be alright. When in doubt call the highway department along your travel routes for clearance information.

Vinny773

thanks everyone who responded. We made it back to Denville with no issues. Actually it was a breeze. We appreciate all the responses and I will have to re-measure. I also found a site on the web that gives low clearances from State to State from America's Independent Truckers'Association, www.aitaonline.com Hope to meet everyone soon, we really enjoyed our Heartland.