I 75 & Atlanta,Ga.

1231ChaseB

Hi All ! I know the traffic in Atlanta on I 75 southbound is BAD but what time in the afternoon does it start the stop and go thing ! Could a person travel thru the city at about 2 or 3 in the afternoon ?
Thanks ahead of time !
chaseb

robnmo

We haven't traveled 75 through there in a couple yrs (we try to avoid it if possible), but we did just come through on 85 (Greenville, SC to Montgomery, AL) we did it about 3PM on a Sunday and traffic was not bad at all we came straight through but the bypass around Atlanta was backed up just to get on it and it did get busy around the I75/I85 section. I'd say I 75 at 3PM would be safe if you were in a tank/bulldozer or flying over at about 30,000 ft. :)

Tool958

Shouldn't be too much of a problem that time of day. When it gets close to 4:00 PM it really picks up from there on to about 8:00 PM. Then it starts to slow down again. All bets are off after a wreck. It usually shuts all lanes down on that side before it's over. We sat on I-75 for two hours last year when going to Florida. The year before we went through about 5:00 PM and we were making good time until someone had a wreck. All lanes came to a halt. It was bumper to bumper. Somehow an Altlanta cop in a cruizer made it diaginally through all lanes to get to the wreck. I still don't know how there was enough room for cars to let him through.

jimtoo

Hi Tool958,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Hope you make many happy memories with your Cyclone. The Heartland Family is here if you need anything.

Think about joining the Heartland Owners Club and also making some of the rallies. Meet other owners and have a great time.

Jim M

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
in a word, NO. 8-14 lanes of traffic on 285 or 75 and is packed from early am until later evening. weekends you can drive through the city, any other time is crap shoot.
good luck if you choose that route

tmcran

We went that way once. We have decided there are other place we had rather visit. Been in DC, Dallas, Houston and etc. Never anything like Atlanta. Good luck and be very sure you are in the correct lane at all times.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We caravaned with 5 other rigs last thursday through Atlanta on 75 at 10:30 in the morning going south, traffic not to bad, on the south side they posted signs that they would be working on I-75 the weekend. When we came back through on Sunday they had 2 lanes on the north bound side but traffic was moving at 55 mph. We went to Perry
Ga. for a rally and lots of rigs were coming back north then. If you wait until 10am or after you will be okay. 3pm it starts to get busy and will be until 7pm. Also watch to see when the Braves or Falcon's are playing as it gets busy then also. Try to stay in the middle lanes on the right side. Good luck and have a safe trip.

Tool958

Hi Tool958,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Hope you make many happy memories with your Cyclone. The Heartland Family is here if you need anything.

Think about joining the Heartland Owners Club and also making some of the rallies. Meet other owners and have a great time.

Jim M
Thanks for the welcome. I just joined the Heartland Owners Club. Am looking forward to many years of camping in our Cyclone. We've graduated from tents, to pop-ups, to a Rockwood Roo hybrid, 30' Keystone Cougar to the present toyhauler. Hope to retire in about 4 years and we are hoping to get a lot of good use out of it. We've wanted to get out west for years and it will give us a good excuse to attend the National next year. Hope we can make it.

Last edited: